Giant ATX 27.5 1 Vs 2 Vs Diamondback Sync 3.0

Alfreddo
Alfreddo Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've narrowed down my choices to the three bikes above. I cannot spend more than £400 on the bike and I'm pretty sure I can only get the Diamonback online, whereas there's a Giant shop very near. I really want to know whether it's worth spending the £50 more for the Giant ATX 27.5 1 over the Giant ATX 27.5 2. It has fork lockout and an 8 speed Shimano Acera Vs the 7 speed Tourney on the 2. Is that derailleur much better?
I will be riding on roads and gravel tracks with the occasional trail. I weigh 62kg and I'm 5'7 with a 29" inner leg (So I'm thinking a small frame will be best).
Thanks for your help in advance!
Alf

Comments

• Alfreddo
    Would I be better to order a B'Twin Rockrider 540 or 560?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Links help people compare spec better and get a better idea of the bike...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No offence to your choices, but the ATX 2 is a horrendous bike. As much as Giant produce some great value bikes, their ones in this price band look like they have been specced out of the late 90s parts bin. Unfortunately the ATX 1 doesn't fair much better - the frame is nice though, but the rest of the parts are heavy and basic. The Diamond Back gets some better parts, most notably the brakes, but lacks any damping in the fork.

The Rockriders are where the smart money is for a capable XC/trail bike. The 540 is a bargain - rare to see a decent 9 speed set up with a wide range of gears, hydraulic discs and damped fork for this cash, and sizes up nicely out on the trail.
  • Alfreddo
    I've been looking at the Rockriders tonight, and they do seem like the bikes to go for. However, I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere in my size (S) Anyone know anywhere you can get them? Cheers, really great feedback!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd visit a store if you can. Maybe a medium will fit. Reach is most important. I doubt you will be unable to sit on it, even with the saddle at the lowest.
  • Alfreddo
    Update, I managed to find a deal on a 2015 Merida Big Seven 300 for £425! £220 off! Tried it for size and it'll be getting here soon.