Kinesis GF Ti Disc

hsiaolc
hsiaolc Posts: 492
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I am having doubt to cancel the order or not.

Reason is because I have a two year old Rose Xeon Di2 an aluminium bike and even though having a Ti bike is something that I've always wanted but I am unsure if it will make much difference to my riding.

Will the frame really make the riding hugely different?

Will you the upgrade to the Ti from Rose Aluminium?

Comments

• Can't speak for the Kinesis but I found ti a revelation after riding Al. I thin it all depends how it's been made though and your shape. I've had 3 Ti bikes and still have 2 of them (2006 Ghisallo) and like the ride. I'm lightish at 58kg and short at 168cm so flex has never been an issue. Both my bikes are 6/4 titanium so can't comment on 3/2.5. Saying that I kept looking at the GF Ti Disc las winter and was very tempted but I want to run Campy so decided to wait and see what they do with their discs before I look further but it looks an interesting prospect for a winter bike to me and that's where discs make sense
  • hsiaolc
    Thank you for the reply.

I don't just want this as my winter bike but all year round bike.

Maybe I should get the high end giant defy carbon?

You have two Ti still so why another Ti?

Will you choose ti over carbon?

Maybe I should cancel my order tomorrow and give a bit more thought.

But that frame so beautiful and the review is so good
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    More thoughtwont help you. You have made a good choice so stick with it. Would get to the wedding venue only to look at your bride and say you know what i will cancel today and gove more thought.

It is a fine bike and you will enjoy unless you cancel the order.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I also have the Rose Xeon, which has quite a forgiving ride for aluminum. I have a Genesis equilibrium Ti and I hardly ride it. Unless the new bike is your dream bike, then I'd buy a cheap winter hack and save the money for something you've always wanted.
  • hsiaolc
    Vortice wrote:
    I also have the Rose Xeon, which has quite a forgiving ride for aluminum. I have a Genesis equilibrium Ti and I hardly ride it. Unless the new bike is your dream bike, then I'd buy a cheap winter hack and save the money for something you've always wanted.

Argh!!!
    Oh no.

May I ask why you hardly ride the Ti?

I so much want to try on the 30 schwalbe s one tubless tyres. I am hooked on those and the kinesis offer such tyre clearance.

I am so torn especially after your experience with Ti.
  • I wouldn't cancel the GF Ti mate it looks a great bike for an allrounder and sportive ride. Put it this way, 9 years ago I had to stop riding with a hip problem that needed surgery. At that point I had my Litespeed Ghisallo Ti bike and a DeRosa Protos Carbon. I sold the DeRosa because I used the Ghisallo more. I used to have a decent steel winter bike but found myself riding the Ghisallo in all but the worst conditions (100 mile solo's in the rain) as it was just a nice ride and faster. I only really rode the DeRosa in races and mid summer club rides so I pretty much used the Ghisallo for 3/4 of the year and just changed the wheels to suit conditions.
    If you're considering the Defy I'd certainly put the GF Ti way above, specially with a nice build and it will last forever.
    I have a newish Litespeed T1 which rides very differently to the Ghisallo but retains a Ti ride quality although in many ways I prefer my 8 year older Ghisallo which is consigned to winter duties. I was looking at the GF Ti as it could fit decent guards and the discs would allow me to use better (imho) wheels in the winter which is pretty much 6 months in this country.
    I'll probably end up getting a new summer bike this year and it will probably be carbon but not for the ride quality, purely because I want to start racing again and want an aero frame. I'll always keep a Ti bike though, probably 2 if I can afford it.
  • hsiaolc
    CMC thank you for your lovely advice.

True Winter in this country is about 6 months but it happens that I ride a lot less in that 6 month then in the summer.

I will go ahead with it. :)

Everything fit the bill except for the frame weight. But I guess thats the sacrifice to go with Ti.
  • I'm sure you won't be dissappointed and I don't think it was particularly heavy. My T1 weighs 1200g and my Ghisallo is only 690g but apart from picking them up there is little noticable difference when riding and the T1 is probably quicker up most UK hills as it's stiffer. My Steel bike was more like 1850g and that did feel a bit weighty but the build wasn't particularly top spec. What build are you going for?
  • hsiaolc
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    I'm sure you won't be dissappointed and I don't think it was particularly heavy. My T1 weighs 1200g and my Ghisallo is only 690g but apart from picking them up there is little noticable difference when riding and the T1 is probably quicker up most UK hills as it's stiffer. My Steel bike was more like 1850g and that did feel a bit weighty but the build wasn't particularly top spec. What build are you going for?

I found out today the frame only for this build is 1.77KG a bit heavy for my liking so I cancel it. I don't see how they can get to 8.5KG with this build.

I was planning Di2 with R785 Hydro Disc together with Hunt wheels 4 season with 30mm tubeless schwalbe s one together with 3T 100mm stem and 3T carbon handlebar and Canyon flex seat tube.

Now I am looking at the Gensis Datum Frameset.

Thank you for all your input.