Carbon Seatpost Upgrade

Donie75
Donie75 Posts: 92
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I bought a nice new carbon Ridley last year and I'm really enjoy riding it. I have the position fully sorted now with a shorter stem and I've changed the saddle. Did a great 100km spin yesterday.
The only item on the bike that I feel like upgrading is the seatpost. The bike shop build it up and used the standard 4ZA alloy seatpost. It's fine but I fancy an upgrade.
I was thinking of the 3T Stylus seatposts on CRC. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/e ... prod131931
Are these any good?
Is there anything else that I should check out?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you say that you are really enjoying your bike, why the need to 'upgrade'? What are you hoping to achieve?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Carbon Seatpost Upgrade = most pointless upgrade option. Ever. Better to buy a couple of new tyres.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Donie75
    Just a bit of bling really. I know it's not going to transform the bike or make me a brilliant cyclist.
  • Donie75
    Have just fitted new handbuilt H+Son Archytypes on Ultegra hubs with new GP4000s's. Way better than the Open Pro's and Gatorskins I got with it. They have been moved to the winter bike.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you want bling then maybe some nice new shoes (in flouro) or some decent bib shorts like Castelli FAR, etc? Posh sunglasses might also be good this time of year if you just fancy some retail therapy??
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Carbon tube glued to an alloy head. Nothing wrong with that but not exactly bling; for that you need a monocoque seatpost. I wanted such a thing for my bargain Scott CR1 frame (still not built up......!) - watched Ebay shops for a while and turned up a new Merida monocoque post for about £45 posted. If Merida can't make a decent carbon seat post I don't know who can!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Rolf F wrote:
    Scott CR1 frame (still not built up......!)

For shame man! Three years now is it?! Still loving* mine, and it has a carbon seatpost ;).

*Might have to trade for a smaller frame, still yet to see!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    Scott CR1 frame (still not built up......!)

For shame man! Three years now is it?! Still loving* mine, and it has a carbon seatpost ;).

*Might have to trade for a smaller frame, still yet to see!

Yeah, I know! Still, it was bought as a replacement for the Ribble if it ever needed replacing which it hasn't! I now have everything I need to complete it except for a front mech and a brake lever mounting collar! The idea was to maybe focus it more as a flat(ish, for Yorkshire) oriented bike with the cheap Record 10 speed standard crankset I picked up. But at the moment, it has the benefit in being unbuilt of taking up a lot less space! Once the bike room is tidied up a bit I can get on and enjoy building it at leisure.

Just need to get in touch with Graeme at Velotech for an item or two........
    Faster than a tent.......