ZIPP Wheelset HONGKONG

Dinesh2988
Dinesh2988 Posts: 16
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
So i am visiting HK next month and plan to pick up ZIPP 303/404 Wheels. Can anyone tell me who stocks ZIPP in HK, I searched google for bike shop in HK and it says bullbike or flyball bicycle shop. Not sure if anyone of them they stock it. Any idea and tips on where to get them. I would be also interested in Reynolds 46 Aero.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you are happy to buy from HK, why not importing directly some wheels from China at a fraction of the cost?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Try Bike7 in Kowloon city area. A small shop that was stacked full of high end road stuff last time I was there a couple of years ago.
  • If you are happy to buy from HK, why not importing directly some wheels from China at a fraction of the cost?
    you mean the chinese wheels from aliexpress ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Dinesh2988 wrote:
    If you are happy to buy from HK, why not importing directly some wheels from China at a fraction of the cost?

No, I mean the Chinese wheels from Farsports or similar. When you buy Zipp you pay big money for warranty and support, but if you buy in Hong-Kong then there is no point
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Dinesh2988 wrote:

No, I mean the Chinese wheels from Farsports or similar. When you buy Zipp you pay big money for warranty and support, but if you buy in Hong-Kong then there is no point

Out of interest do you rate the far sports wheels ugo? Have you worked on them before?
  • ugo.santalucia

Out of interest do you rate the far sports wheels ugo? Have you worked on them before?

They are fine. Chinese wheels have improved a lot in the past 5 years... the gap with the American products is very narrow these days. Rim overheating and collapse might still be an issue with clinchers, so either tubs or disc brakes
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991

They are fine. Chinese wheels have improved a lot in the past 5 years... the gap with the American products is very narrow these days. Rim overheating and collapse might still be an issue with clinchers, so either tubs or disc brakes

Thanks, would the overheating thing be more of a thing on an alpine descent as opposed to normal 'flattish' riding? Am considering some at some point in the future, but wouldn't bother using them on anything hilly (even over here, dragon ride and so on)
  • ugo.santalucia

Thanks, would the overheating thing be more of a thing on an alpine descent as opposed to normal 'flattish' riding? Am considering some at some point in the future, but wouldn't bother using them on anything hilly (even over here, dragon ride and so on)

In the UK overheating is unlikely, but not impossible... there are descents in the Lakes, in Yorkshire and in Wales which can get the same temperatures as the in the Alps... not many though
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Very useful thread - I want to get a set of 50mm wheels for my Domane.

To be honest, its mostly a cosmetic thing - they just look fast! I'm under no illusions that I'm actually going to increase my overall speed very much, so don't want to spend a fortune either, as I'm not racing, its purely for fitness and my enjoyment.
    At the same time, I don't want a badly built set of heavy wheels that will actually hinder my riding.

Given that the far sports sound not too bad - has anyone any experience of something like this:

https://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/c ... elset.html

I was half thinking of the Zuus wheels, but I've read so many bad reports, I'm not keen. Any other recommendations around the £400 mark considered, as I say, I'm not expecting £1000 performance, but a half decent wheel would be good!
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Surely Zipp would still offer a warranty and support?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Dinyull wrote:
    Surely Zipp would still offer a warranty and support?

If you like to think so...
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Claims under this warranty must be made through the retailer where the bicycle or the Zipp component was purchased. Original proof of purchase is required.

Fair do's.
  • I am on the pretty same situation. I don't race, but ride just keeping fitness in mind. Here in INDIA they do sell ZIPP but the cost is sky high. Zipp 404 costs around $3309. Thats why i planned to pick one from HK. I am riding a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 and was looking for something say 45-55mm dept wheels. I don't mind going for the chinese wheels until & unless they perform good. Went thru this "TokyoWheels" and the site and review looks promising as well. Any other suggestions ?
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Try Skyblue bikes?

Im heading out to HK in a few weeks time myself. Was intending to hire a bike, but with only 11 days in total and meant to be a family visit I have decided against it this time.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0