Recommendation for Pannier - Backpack

kaho_tam
kaho_tam Posts: 8
edited April 2016 in Commuting chat
I'm looking to buy a pannier bag, but I can't seem to find one with all the features that I want! Does anyone know any pannier bags that have all the below?

Must have:
1) Clip-on to bike pannier bag
2) Convertible to a backpack (with shoulder straps inside a zip)
I need to have free hands when I go shopping!
3) Dry bag sealing (it rains too heavily here), easy to wash off all mud on it.

Desirable:
4) High Viz colour without the need of a rain cover (something like the lomo pannier bag). The rain cover just wastes my time everything I try to get something in/out.
5) Hopefully not too expensive! (depends on how durable it feels)

Comments

• bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I'm sure someone at work has got an Ortlieb one which matches those requirements other than not being too expensive!
  • BigMonka wrote:
    I'm sure someone at work has got an Ortlieb one which matches those requirements other than not being too expensive!

Probably a vario - https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ortlieb_va ... lsrc=aw.ds

Not particularly high vis or cheap, looks good though.

OP - You say it has to be backpack as you want free hands shopping - is a normal single shoulder strap a no-no for you then?
    I have a pair of ortlieb back rollers. If my wife and I head somewhere on the bikes shopping, I just sling the strap diagonally over my shoulder and it's fine. A pair is a similar cost to the vario but you have the option of double the storage when you need it.
  • kaho_tam
    kaho_tam Posts: 8
    thank you both of you! Shoulder strap would work, Ortlieb seems good quality but they seem quite expensive =(
    May just hunt for cheap second hand ones of either model on ebay...