Centrelock vs bolt disk wheels

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Just about to put a deposit on some Hunt Aero wheels, but not sure wether to go for bolt on or centrelock?
Logic dictates that the centrelock wheels will be less prone to problems, but only had my bolt on disk wheelset for a week now so not much experience

Which would you choose?

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Personally, and all my wheels are 6 bolt, I'd choose centrelock. And that's because I keep killing bolts on 6 bolt. Mostly cos I and them are rubbish. But there we go.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    same thing, but centrelock gives you access to the excellent Shimano Freeza discs, one step above the rest. If you don't have to go down big hills, then it doesn't really matter and 6 bolts give you more choice of budget components
    left the forum March 2023
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Thanks guys

it's looking like centrelock is the way to go then.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    3 pairs of wheels and they are Shimano XT centrelock, Hope Evo 6 bolt and undranded 6 bolt. Centrelock makes removing/refitting disc quicker and that's the only advantage I can see. A decent Torx wrench carefully used and you're OK, I do have spare torx bolts though as the last discs I bought came with allen headed bolts which were used for a day or two will the torx bolts arrived.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I recently upgraded my disc wheelset to Pro-lite disc wheels, which were centrelock compatible, so went from 6 bolt to centrelock. The fitting was very simple (but let's face it how often will you need to change a rotor?), and they fit in the brake block housing much easier than I expected, although not sure if this is due to them being centrelock or not.

I got the wheelset with a good discount from a bike show in Mcr, and the guy on the stall said that centrelock was 'the way the industry was going' with regards to the 2 systems. Of course this could, and probably was, an attempt to make a sale and could well be a load of cobblers. Saying that, I am very happy with the new set up - they have made the bike noticeably lighter (not hard - the original wheels were 'hefty'), and I like the look of them on the bike.