next bike?

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
OK, so if you had an absolute max of £2300 to spend on a new full suspension bike, what would you go for and why?

I'm about 5'7" and about 84kg.

I'm looking for full suspension, currently riding a hardtail, so new to the full sus thing. I ride local trails, head to the peaks, york moors and dales and Dalby forest so I was thinking about 140mm travel is this rightish?

Thanks for any advice

Chris

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I can very much recommend a Giant Trance (in your case the 2). Also coming from a Hardtail, I have one myself and love it, the best part is probably that you can suddenly ride some lines that you couldn't before, it's that capable. It's no joke that it pedals almost like a hardtail, it even adds a bit of traction on the hard climbs. If you get the Trance 2, you still have a good 300£ for upgrades later.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Whyte, has won trail bike of the year again
  • mathematics
    JGTR wrote:
    Whyte, has won trail bike of the year again

Thank you - which one?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    The Rookie wrote:

Cheers for that...

So, back on topic - did a bit of internet browsing today.

Found Giant Trance 2 / Cube stereo Race / Whyte T130 s / Lapierre Zesty AM 327

how do these compare with each other? Or are there better out there for the money. I've seen the Bird Aeris on line and the canyons, but I'm a bit concerned about not being able to ride them first!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Forget the amount of suspension travel, geometry makes much more difference.
    The Giant Trance or Anthem sx would be excellent. The Saracen Killi Flyer is also excellent.
  • mathematics
    Forget the amount of suspension travel, geometry makes much more difference.
    The Giant Trance or Anthem sx would be excellent. The Saracen Killi Flyer is also excellent.

Really? I've been focussed around amount of travel, think trial rides need to be on my to do list
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The trance is a good bike, I'd be looking at getting last years model instead though, should easily come in under your budget and a better bike again.

Edit: Easily within your budget.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p5 ... 7-5-1-2015
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Travel used to be a good guide to a bikes capabilities but not anymore. As just one example, my Transition is quite a bit more capable than a off the shelf Giant Trance even though it only has 120mm travel compared to 140mm on the Giant. There are quite a few other similar examples.
    Geometry is what really defines how a bike rides, and it's not all about the head angle. BB height, wheelbase and top tube length are also critical.
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    Travel used to be a good guide to a bikes capabilities but not anymore. As just one example, my Transition is quite a bit more capable than a off the shelf Giant Trance even though it only has 120mm travel compared to 140mm on the Giant. There are quite a few other similar examples.
    Geometry is what really defines how a bike rides, and it's not all about the head angle. BB height, wheelbase and top tube length are also critical.
    This all over my last three bikes have been 160mm/+ I've recently bought the T-130s yari and can't believe how much fun it is, it's all about the ride not the travel.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Throwing a Bird Aeris into the mix.

www.birdmtb.com
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL