Ultegra 6700 to Dura-Ace 7900

Proz
Proz Posts: 136
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi everyone.

I currently have Ultegra 6700 groupset on my bike and to be honest its working great.
However I have always fancied upgrading to Dura-Ace at some point....Why ?? ...Because I want too lol .
So .... will my 6700 shifters/brake levers work fine with Dura Ace 7900 brakes and derailleurs ?
I believe they will but still find differing thoughts online so I thought id ask on here and hopefully will get the advice of someone who has done this.
Ultimately the whole bike will be Dura Ace 7900 but I've found some nice Dura Ace 7900 brakes so thought id start with them and leave the shifters till last.

Thanks
Boardman AiRPro C
Boardman FS Team 650b

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yeah you should have no problems swapping over bit by bit as you find good deals
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Proz
    Proz Posts: 136
    itboffin wrote:
    Yeah you should have no problems swapping over bit by bit as you find good deals

Thank you.
    I thought that might be the case but I've read about different pull ratios for derailleurs etc.
    My plan is brakes first. Then chainset. Then derailleurs. And finally shifters. But if it's all working fine with the Ultegra shifters a may just leave them.
    I have Dura Ace C50 wheelset already.
    Cheers.
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Proz wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Thank you.
    I thought that might be the case but I've read about different pull ratios for derailleurs etc.
    My plan is brakes first. Then chainset. Then derailleurs. And finally shifters. But if it's all working fine with the Ultegra shifters a may just leave them.
    I have Dura Ace C50 wheelset already.
    Cheers.
    I had the electronic version of 7970 DA and had no problem with it but I heard that some people complained about the 7900 series performance.
    Did you not consider grabbing either a second hand 9000DA or a 6800 Ultegra set?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Having owned and used both I would say that functionally there will only be a very small incremental improvement - apart from having a more prestigious name on the various components.

You'd be far better off saving a short while and then getting Ultegra 6800. If you sell on your 6700 it would cost little for a much bigger improvement in performance. Alternatively if you are sold on getting DA go for 9000. If funds are limited you could get the brakes first and run these with your existing shifters, then the chainset, and finally the shifters/mechs.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I have over time switched to 7900... dont really need 11 speed.
    I always keep watching brief for some shifters.. but the brakeset . light and day.
    Even switched to front mech 7900... and hey an extra 2 mm clearance... no more big ring, big cog rubbing when in extremis on hilly circuits... plus the 10 gram weight loss....
  • Dura-Ace 9000 is fantastic, in some respects, better that Di2, especially with gloves,,,, BUT,
    9000 inner cables are rubbish, when new and for the first 2-3 months, superb, but when that coating gets worn, fragments, leaves debris inside outer case, it courses drag, and because the action is so light, create,s delayed action on the way down,
    Anyone else had this.
    Cant beat Flying Snake carbon outers...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    As this has been resurrected.. managed to find some 7900 shifters on Ebay and got them on in replacement for the 5700.
    Aesthetically they look about half the width of the 5700, so a lot less chunky. Shifting about the same , above average feel.

My reason for not going to the 'cheaper' option of 11speed is simply I have too much 10speed stuff as spares.. chains, cassettes ..

I did re use the inners and outers as the race bike does not see that much outdoor mileage.

The Flying Snake stuff does have a bit of negative feedback though..