Shimano Di2 test bike

cab3086
cab3086 Posts: 35
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I have an opportunity to purchase a Shimano Ultergra Di2 test bike (the Flouro yellow one) from a a friend, comes with turbo trainer from Elite all for under £1000.
I have looked at the bike at it has no scuffs of scratches, would you buy it?

yes/no and why?

Thanks

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Depends on what frame it is and if it fits you? What wheels are they?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Not for me - secondhand bikes of good brands with Di2 are readily available for that sort of figure without having to ride that flouro yellow test bike.

The Elite turbo (likely to be a cheaper version) is not something I would be particularly swayed by.

Up to you though but don't be swayed by the fact that you may think it is an amazing deal - it's not in my view.
  • cab3086
    Thanks so far, the frame is one that Shimano have got for the job, i have seen online that they may of used Ideal frames (not verified) the wheels are as it was delivered Shimano RS30, ok - they are up to the job for the moment.

nochekmate if you find me a di2 equipped bike for under a grand let me know, even on E*ay they are more, the colour is great and the decals can be sorted easily.

my other option is a Boardman 2014 team carbon that has had a full upgrade to 6700 mechanical with 6800 Ultegra wheels going for £850??
  • nochekmate
    cab3086 wrote:
    nochekmate if you find me a di2 equipped bike for under a grand let me know, even on E*ay they are more, the colour is great and the decals can be sorted easily.

Your wish is my command. This is an example of what I am talking about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMC-Racemachi ... true&rt=nc

They are around but not everyday!

Just my opinion of course - the Boardman would not be for me either but it's your money of course.
  • cab3086
    BMC not for me, that rear is just not right IMHO, but as you say not everyday, i usually miss them lol
  • nochekmate
    I just gave the BMC as an example as I had it on my watch list but as you say we all have opinions on various models - just that for me the test bike does not come anywhere close to matching that sort of example (the wheelset on the BMC was far better too). I could no doubt find other Di2 bikes that sold for £1k.

For the Boardman the Ultegra 6700 groupset is worth approx £200 secondhand, the wheels less than £200 secondhand which leaves approx £400 for the frame (ie. too much - you can forget the other bits in all honesty). I would not pay more for a secondhand bike than the sum of its parts.

It sounds like you like the look of the Shimano test bike so if it fits buy it. Have you looked at Pauls Cycles & their offers on Cannondale Supersix bikes? - no brainers if they have your size.
  • cab3086
    Had a CAAD8 once, was a nice bike, the Boardman looks nice and I don't see what is wrong with it? Maybe I can get him to drop the price to 700 lol, it would be my wet/winter bike as my nice Reynolds 853 Raleigh get most of the rides as it has been upgraded to 10sp with standard cranks (original) maybe I will leave them both and save for a Colnago Master ??