Used SRAM RED Double Tap vs New Ultegra 6800

tobipr
tobipr Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello there!

For a long time the the search function has don't the job for me but now its time for my first time asking for specific advice.

I am buying a used Ritchey Logic Road frame and the seller offered me a "not much used" but "old" Sram Red 10 speed double tap for only €300/$340 with it. My plan was to get a new Ultegra groupset that is currently being sold online for only €550/$620 but now I am not quite sure what to do.

Whats the "better" group set? Is the 10 speed a disadvantage? Double Tap vs. Shimano STI?

All I can say for now is that I am very happy with my current Ultegra 6600 and that I prefer the grey Ultegra 6800 a little over the silver RED. But just the looks won't make me spend almost double the money.

I am very mich looking forward to getting some opinion on this :)

Best, b

Comments

• kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Sram Red is significantly lighter than 6800 by about 500g or roughly a pound in weight. Other than that it will come down to personal choice. I love Sram and find Shimano a bit clunky in comparison.
    But that is just my opinion, formed because I started on Sram Red when I got my first road bike
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The other advantage of the SRAM groupset is that it is easily converted to 11 speed by just changing the shifters and rear cassette as it is backwards convertible. I recently sold my SRAM Red 10 speed shifter replacing them with SRAM Rival 22 shifters and still had change after adding a Shimano 105 11 speed cassette. With the Shimano Ultegra set up you'll pay more to convert to 11 speed.

SRAM are a bit like marmite for some people; you either love it or you don't. Personally I wouldn't use anything other than SRAM as the shifting is just logical for me and the hood size is a perfect fit for my hands.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    philthy3 wrote:
    The other advantage of the SRAM groupset is that it is easily converted to 11 speed by just changing the shifters and rear cassette as it is backwards convertible. I recently sold my SRAM Red 10 speed shifter replacing them with SRAM Rival 22 shifters and still had change after adding a Shimano 105 11 speed cassette. With the Shimano Ultegra set up you'll pay more to convert to 11 speed.

SRAM are a bit like marmite for some people; you either love it or you don't. Personally I wouldn't use anything other than SRAM as the shifting is just logical for me and the hood size is a perfect fit for my hands.
    Ultegra 6800 is 11 speed. His 'dilema' is whether it's worth paying the extra over 10speed red. My advice would be no, but of the two, I've only used red.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    It's not a bad price assuming it's in good nick. It also fits, arguably, the aesthetic of the Ritchey that bit better. 10 speed is fine. At that price I'd probably go with it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Garry H wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Ultegra 6800 is 11 speed. His 'dilema' is whether it's worth paying the extra over 10speed red. My advice would be no, but of the two, I've only used red.

Yes didn't read it clearly and assumed it was like for like 10 speeds being compared.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.