Mavic 2016 R-SYS bearing adjustment.

DanTe1977
DanTe1977 Posts: 46
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Could anybody please just tell me how to adjust the preload on these wheels?
They're only a couple of months old but both need tightening.
I'm riding out in Spain at the mo, have brought the standard Mavic adjustment tool with me but have no idea where to start with these particular wheels.
The old Ksyriums you just used the tool onto the the hub and gave it a 1/2!turn or so.
These r-sys's don't appear to be the same?

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    DanTe1977 wrote:
    Could anybody please just tell me how to adjust the preload on these wheels?
    They're only a couple of months old but both need tightening.
    I'm riding out in Spain at the mo, have brought the standard Mavic adjustment tool with me but have no idea where to start with these particular wheels.
    The old Ksyriums you just used the tool onto the the hub and gave it a 1/2!turn or so.
    These r-sys's don't appear to be the same?

On the Mavic Cosmics 2016 i ve got, with the wheel in frame, the tool fits into 4 holes in the hub bearing cover and you tighten, the Tracomp user guide says the same for your wheels.
  • DanTe1977
    Cheers. That's what I thought but there are no 4 holes on the hub as there are on all the other Mavics I've had. Unless I'm being really thick which is a genuine possibility.
    They did come with a weird tool which of course I've left at home, that's probably it.
    Any other ideas?
    Ta
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    DanTe1977 wrote:
    Cheers. That's what I thought but there are no 4 holes on the hub as there are on all the other Mavics I've had. Unless I'm being really thick which is a genuine possibility.
    They did come with a weird tool which of course I've left at home, that's probably it.
    Any other ideas?
    Ta

looking on the Mavic site under user guides/tracomp (at very top of page) its def the 4 pin plastic tool that comes with all recent wheels, so 4 holes on non drive side and turn either way to adjust?

looked on another site and says same too.... otherwise, cant help.

fwiw until i read your op, i d never notice the holes :)
  • DanTe1977
    Thanks for trying to help, appreciate it. It's a different hub though. Mavic mus'nt of updated their online manuals.
    There's definitely no holes for the tool..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    No holes and no tools, maybe no preload adjustment?
    Technically preload is not necessary on cartridge bearings, unless they are the wide clearance type
    left the forum March 2023
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    the four-pin adjusting tool is for qrm+ hubs, according to mavic website the current r-sys wheels have qrm sl hubs

there is no tool for qrm sl

mavic says "Adjust the quick release closing force until the wheel has no more play", also indicated here...

http://www.mavic.co.uk/sites/default/fi ... /QRMSL.pdf

if there is still play, this says you need to swap the spacer (presumably should be supplied with the wheels)...

http://www.groupesportif.com/mavic/5.pdf

...and if that fails, time for new parts
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DanTe1977
    Thanks for all the input n cheers for the links sungod!
    I'm on holiday in the Sierra Nevada so it's all pretty annoying. Going to take to a not very local Mavic dealer/shop that I've had recommended to me. Hopefully they can sort it out.
    Despite the links I'm still not quite sure how to go about it.
    The really annoying thing is that the wheels are brand new +\-500 miles. Looks like they might be winging their way back to wiggle upon my return.
    The cassette has got too much play too. It ain't good for £1400!!