New drivetrain for Boardman Hybrid

sicknewt
sicknewt Posts: 181
edited April 2016 in The workshop
Hi all,

I've got a 2013 Boardman Hybrid that I commute to work on. It's drivetrain is well past it's best and needs replacing.

It's currently running a SRAM X5 rear shifter and X5 rear derailleur. The front shifter is SRAM X7 and the front derailleur is from Microshift. The crankset is a 50x34 FSA with a GXP bottom bracket.

I thought I'd replace the lot with Shimano 10 speed SLX kit. However, I've read that a SLX double front derailleur is only recommended for use up to 44 tooth chainring, where really I need a 50x34 again.

I can't seem to find a solution to using an MTB groupset with a 50x34 crankset. The only real alternative is to go for a Tiagra flat bar setup, but that's more expensive than SLX and not as tough.

So, I'm after suggestions! Has anyone successfully used a SLX double front derailleur on a 50x34? Or is there another front derailleur that could be used with a SLX shifter? Might the Microshift front derailleur work with the SLX shifter? So many questions!

Thanks for any help!

Nick

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SLX front mech will cope with a 48t touring gear set so may just work with the 50 or you may have to go to a 48t.

Or use the Microshift, Shimano and SRAM front shifters have the same pull ratio.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I got a 105 front derailleur to replace the microshift one on mine for about £15 on ebay.

Mine also came with an Apex rear derailleur which has been fantastic.
  • sicknewt
    sicknewt Posts: 181
    Thanks for answers. Think I'll try it with the Microshift mech first and hope that works!