First Gravity Race

y2keable
y2keable Posts: 349
edited April 2016 in MTB general
When I was in my mid to late teens, I used to compete in CX races. Now I'm 30 and that seems live forever ago. My taste has changed too, I no longer regard myself as an XC rider, I like trail centres and my trail bike.

This weekend I return to racing, though it's my first DH race (Hamsterley Trail Bike TT). Any advice?

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing this purely for the fun. I know I have no chance of even coming in the top 20, never mind a podium. However, I'd just really like to not come last.

Cheers
Jay
<hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">
<hr noshade size="1">
[:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get there early and walk the track. Find the technical bits and look for some markers for the best line.
    Practice as much as possible, make sure the lines work for you. Remember that for 99% of riders, being smooth is faster than being ragged and all over the place.
    Get a few full runs in practice and session any bits you're not comfortable with but never stop inside the tape.
    Never try following pro racers lines in practice, it hurts!
    When it comes to the race run, don't think of it as racing, don't put any pressure on yourself to go fast. If you're relaxed you will ride better. Don't do anything for the first time in a race run, if you've not hit a jump in practice, the race run isn't the best time to try it.
    Most importantly, have fun. Downhill racers are all out there to have fun, they're basically the opposite to roadies. They're friendly and nearly all will give you some tips.