Deliveroo - a bit of a free for all?

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited November 2016 in Road general
Over the last year I can't but help notice the explosion of Deliveroo cyclists in the city I work in. Most of these riders seem to be on poorly maintained bikes, without helmets, lights or suitable cycling clothing and with little or no regard to the rules of the road and often cycling on footpaths. I am really surprised that what appears to be a rapidly growing company is allowed to get away with allowing their employees to ride like this.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    There's a fairly decent article on road.cc this week about it - the comment thread has some ex deliveroo riders also - doesn't paint them in the most positive light!

Main issue appears to be insurance - they classify the riders as self-employed and that means there's just about no way for them to be insured.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    Surely any self employed individual can get public liability cover.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    My son is a Deliveroo rider and as a former motorcycle courier I find myself quite interested in the conditions he works under.

I do not wear a helmet, but feel pretty ambivalent about that whole issue... He usually wears one, but MUST wear one when at work or riding to or from work in his uniform.

If any of them are seen riding on pavements, hopping red lights, riding helmetless, wearing other stuff over their company clothing, riding in poor visibility without lights, being discourteous and so on.... they get some sort of sanction.

They've recently started a weekly session where a senior rider shows up at a workshop where use of tools is free and offers maintenance advice - and where I believe some cheaper service parts are provided.

My impression overall is that it is a pretty well run outfit.

I write this as a father who gets slightly nervous about his offspring earning a crust on a bicycle, not as a lobbyist for Deliveroo.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I love the deliveroo riders in Bristol ... most of them have quads the size of my waist and absolutely power around, I find it an achievement if I can reel one in and pass and make it hold

A true joy to the SCR scene in North Bristol on decent bikes good road sense and obey the Highway Code ... I even follow a few on strava
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    fat daddy wrote:
    A true joy to the SCR scene in North Bristol on decent bikes good road sense and obey the Highway Code ... I even follow a few on strava

The few I see in Brizzle don't play SCR very well, far too easy to pass them on their geared bikes and me on my single speed along Anchor Road.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fat daddy
    redvee wrote:
    The few I see in Brizzle don't play SCR very well, far too easy to pass them on their geared bikes and me on my single speed along Anchor Road.

I don't know why, but that came a cross as throwing your gauntlet down ... I am going to need to find a route to work that goes along The Anchor road now ... show you the "point" of gears :D;)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    fat daddy wrote:
    I don't know why, but that came a cross as throwing your gauntlet down ... I am going to need to find a route to work that goes along The Anchor road now ... show you the "point" of gears :D;)

You'll have a long wait, to work is around noon.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My local riders are a mixed bunch, some decent keen cyclists who can certainly shift, as I usually encounter them on the way to/from my local MTB ride they can be a challenge to pace on their road/fast hybrid bikes on my knobbly tyred full susser.

And there are the ones on shonky supermarket bikes simply not up to the task with little or no road sense and frequent illegal use of the footways.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    redvee wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

You need to be carrying a dozen pepperonis with extra cheese to level the field though...
  • fat daddy
    Fenix wrote:
    You need to be carrying a dozen pepperonis with extra cheese to level the field though...

:mrgreen: .. that's what I am carrying .... admittedly its not in a giant rucksack but packed around my waist and arse :oops:
  • fenix
    We really need a like button on here...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I saw a deliveroo rider the other day on an Apollo full sus BSO. Nothing like deliberately making your job far worse than it needs to be and losing lots of money in the process!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Fair few round this way generally they seen well kitted out an good road sense but we have a very comprehensive cycle route off the roads. Cant say ive had any issues. Bar trying to chase them down. Some of the "proper" riders are absolute power houses even with the giant boxes the lug around.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    How far do they end up riding a day out of interest? Only seen a few near me in Guildford.
  • fenix
    In Liverpool I've seen a guy clad in Rapha and on a nice bike as well as dudes on electric bikes. Do they provide their own bikes ? I'd have thought an electric one would be a big investment ?
  • fat daddy
    the guys I follow on strava seem to do about 20ish miles a day
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    dstev55 wrote:
    Over the last year I can't but help notice the explosion of Deliveroo cyclists in the city I work in. Most of these riders seem to be on poorly maintained bikes, without helmets, lights or suitable cycling clothing and with little or no regard to the rules of the road and often cycling on footpaths. I am really surprised that what appears to be a rapidly growing company is allowed to get away with allowing their employees to ride like this.

Has anyone else noticed this?

"allowing their employees to ride like this"

That's the key thing. The official line is that they are self employed. Much like Uber drivers. The law is catching up and soon Uber drivers, and Deliveroo riders will have luxuries such as minimum wage, sick pay and paid holidays. Ruddy scroungers :wink: