Installing OneUp to 1 x 10 Shimano HG62 11-36, 10s

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning All,

I am thinking of adding OneUp expander to my 1 x 10 set up on my Anthem X2 (current set up suits me OK but I will be doing coast 2 coast in the summer so maybe it would be handy to have it).

I run on the stock cassette Shimano HG62 11-36, 10s - what is my options here to do OneUp extension ?

I understand that I need to remove one sprocket from the cassette to make some room for the 'new one', but I don't think it is doable on this cassette, is it ?

Any other options/solutions etc ??

Thanks for your help guys!

C.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's not easy on the SLX cassette, you have to cut a gear off the spider (and that part of the spider), ideally you need an XT cassette and then replace the 15 and 17T sprockets with a 16T to give sensible ratio gaps.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's not easy on the SLX cassette, you have to cut a gear off the spider (and that part of the spider), ideally you need an XT cassette and then replace the 15 and 17T sprockets with a 16T to give sensible ratio gaps.

Yeah, that's what i thought -cheers Rookie.
  • GuyOnMTB
    GuyOnMTB Posts: 5
    For better shifting performance, remove the 17 and 19 and replace with an 18, for 11-13-15-18-21-24. Instead of 11-13-16-19-21-24. For a better range spread!
  • toys19
    toys19 Posts: 90
    If you have a small hacksaw it is not difficult to cut the pins, but the price of an Xt cassette is not much more. I did this when the chain and cassette were part worn and it was prudent to use the existing chain and cassette, but if buying new then just get the xt cassette.
  • The Rookie
    Or just get the Sunrace MX3 cassette which works out cheaper and lighter! (got mine for £53.99 from Charlie the bikemonger)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • toys19
    toys19 Posts: 90
    Not gonna knock the sunrace. I've just fitted it with a one up Radr cage to the wifes Trigger and its flawless .
  • The Rookie
    Just waiting on the gear cable (FASI lightweight) before I convert mine to 10 speed using an MX3.