Rapha Manchester to London 2016

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
Anyone else signed up for this? 354km with 12,500m of climbing, so should be a proper challenge. Typical Rapha "if you have to ask" pricing, but apparently very well run and catered. Went to the CCLDN launch event - the associated charity, Ambitious about Autism, struck me as a worthy cause (Simon Mottram's son is profoundly autistic, apparently, hence the connection to Rapha), so I'll be climbing back into the fundraising saddle as well as the real one.

Comments

• If you're spending a heap of money on a fun ride, you might as well go do one somewhere nicer than Manchester - London.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    I don't think it's possible to go from Man to Lon and cover 12 K of climbing, must be something wrong
    left the forum March 2023
  • 964cup
    I wondered about that too. It's in the literature, but could be a mistake.
  • ugo.santalucia
    964Cup wrote:
    I wondered about that too. It's in the literature, but could be a mistake.

It is a mistake. The Tour du Mont Blanc in 320 Km only does 8 K of climbing, go figure.

I'd be surprised if you do 12 K FEET of climbing between Man and Lon
  • 964cup
    Well, that makes it slightly easier, I suppose. We'll see what Strava says in September...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Yeah - I reckon that's a feet thing.

Windsor-Chester-Windsor (classic 600km Audax that's not far off Manchester to London (and back!)) is only 5300m of ascent, so half that is not even going to get to 12000feet, but if they choose to route through the Peak District etc, you could expect more.

I'd love to find a 350km route with 12000m of ascent. I rode one of the hilliest routes in Audax a couple of years ago - that was 15000m in 600km and was just bonkers.

Anyway - best of luck for the ride and hope everyone raises a stack for this worthy cause.
  • ugo.santalucia
    marcusjb wrote:
    I rode one of the hilliest routes in Audax a couple of years ago - that was 15000m in 600km and was just bonkers.

Yeah, I think 25 mt per Km is about the limit for a UK route... you really have to go up every hill three ways to make it possible. In Italy I managed to get over 35 mt per Km on relatively short routes

https://www.strava.com/routes/4453961