spacers stuck to fork, please help? - images

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

got a fairly old Giant SCR frame which I am trying to renovate but after taking it all apart it seems like the spacers have got stuck to the fork - does anyone know what to do to get the spacers and cone unstuck? I have put WD40, GT85, used a hammer (gently!), etc...

IMG_20160413_182638.jpg

Thanks in advance
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    What hammer technique did you try already?
    You could put a block of wood over the top of the tube, then hit downwards on it with a hammer, so that the fork falls through the head tube. Given that there's no sideways movement, I don't think the risk is too high.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    A good dose of Halfords Penetrating spray, leave a few seconds then a hard wack with a rubber mallet on the steerer tube but remembering to catch the fork if it drops out.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Well supported frame, block of wood and a 2lb lump hammer.
    Place the block of wood (2x4) should be adequate, and strike with the hammer.
    Repeat until forks can be removed.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Large grips (plumbers pliers) and turn each spacer individually, starting from the top. If the spacers get marked, replacements are cheap.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'd go for the spacers one at a time with an old knife or chisle gently taped between them to prise them off. Then lots of grease during re-assembly.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    if you dont want to keep the spacers then you could cut them off easily with a hacksaw as they are only alluminium.
    just go careful not to cut into the steerer tube.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Just hammer the top of the steerer harder... you can't really do much damage... other than it falls on the floor when they come unstuck
    left the forum March 2023
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    jermas wrote:
    Large grips (plumbers pliers) and turn each spacer individually, starting from the top. If the spacers get marked, replacements are cheap.

^^^this

if they're stuck due to corrosion, oil probably won't help, you can try acf-50/similar, but going after each ring in turn with grips is simpler

if everything is alloy, you can also apply heat shock to the spacers - the thermal conductivity of the corrosion will be less than the spacers, they'll tend to expand faster than the steerer, this might help loosen them
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Just hammer the top of the steerer harder... you can't really do much damage... other than it falls on the floor when they come unstuck

+1
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    dgunthor wrote:

+1

Just do this.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You have removed/loosened the headset spacer from inside the fork haven't you?!?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    IC. wrote:
    dgunthor wrote:

+1

Just do this.

Another vote for the 'just whack it' approach - just make sure the frame is supported and that there is something to cushion the forks as they drop.

Heating the spacers with a hair-dryer beforehand is a reasonable thing to do........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You have removed/loosened the headset spacer from inside the fork haven't you?!?

Wot?
    left the forum March 2023
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Yeah give it a whack as mentioned. Or chisel between the spaces themselves.
  • I had this where the large spacer which sits directly on the headset corroded to the steerer. I tried all methods and was concerned at the amount of stress I was putting on the main tube. I ended up using a dremel with a cutter blade to slice down the outside of the spacer (only aluminum) without touching the steerer then inserted a f/o flatbladed screwdriver into the slot. Came off a treat but the spacer was obviously toast.
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

Wot?

I meant expander.....
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Wot?

I meant expander.....

Well it's an aluminum or steel steerer by the look of it so would have a star fangled nut? Even if it was an expander I don't see what taking it out would do, no way it would swell the steerer tube?
  • napoleond
    Sorry for my suggestion.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Sorry if that came over a bit blunt Nap.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    try a can of coke, ... seriously, galvanic corrosion, steel steerer and aluminium spacers. ideally soak the area in coke for an hour , then use the above whack the steerer or twist the spacers with mole grips approach,I would probably put top spacer in a vice with the fork inverted and use the fork legs to twist by hand.
    Colnago Addict!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    DefyComp2 wrote:
    A good dose of Halfords Penetrating spray, leave a few seconds then a hard wack with a rubber mallet on the steerer tube but remembering to catch the fork if it drops out.

easy way to catch the forks is to put a strap or rope between the forks and tie off with a bit of slack on the frame so when you knock the steerer down it can't come out of the frame and therefore will not drop to the ground.

Either that or get a mate to hold the forks whilst you wack him on the head with the hammer :D :twisted:
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    cut them off with a dremel or multi-cutter.
    Or, put the stem back on, hang some worn out parts from the shed on it and punt it out on fleabay after the tour has been on the telly.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I have already tried hammering it really really hard and nothing, buying a can of coke tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I can try with a friends blowtorch. I haven't got grips or a vice unfortunately, although they sound like a good idea. And I can always buy a cheap hacksaw from screwfix...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    .... was concerned at the amount of stress I was putting on the main tube. I ended up using a dremel with a cutter blade to slice down the outside of the spacer (only aluminum) without touching the steerer then inserted a f/o flatbladed screwdriver into the slot. Came off a treat but the spacer was obviously toast.

+1
    Used this exact method before too.