Rear Cassette Ratio

j.anderson
j.anderson Posts: 7
edited May 2016 in The workshop
Hi,

I have a hybrid cross mid drive e-bike with a deore rear mech.

I need to change the worn rear cassette and wondering should I stick with the factory 10 speed 11-36 ratio or try a 12-25 as it is mostly used on roads?

Any advice most appreciated!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Depends if you ever use the sprockets > 25T If no, then change to 12-25, If yes then get a cassette 12-whatever the largest sprocket you use.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Something like an 11-27 or 12-28 would be a good compromise if you are worried about losing the lowest gears
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above if you used all the gears get the same again. If not just look at which gears you do use and make sure you have those covered.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    j.anderson wrote:
    Hi,

I have a hybrid cross mid drive e-bike with a deore rear mech.

I need to change the worn rear cassette and wondering should I stick with the factory 10 speed 11-36 ratio or try a 12-25 as it is mostly used on roads?

Any advice most appreciated!

Hi,
    The last thing you should do is chose a gear ratio based on what other riders are going. As they are very personal. To that end nobody can advise you fully. You have to asses how often you use lower than 25? If never, then fine. How often are you in the 11T cog, if never, then fine. Otherwise you need to look at different ratios.

BTW losing 11T of gearing is a big deal and not to be entered into lightly.