Rear Gears Slipping

Albrynmair
Albrynmair Posts: 7
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

Just wonderig if anyone can help, when I put my gear into the large gear on the rear wheel it slips back to the second cog, when im going up any gradient, can anyone advise me how to adjust please.

Thanks,
Al

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Sounds like the cable has stretched, if so adjust the cable tension using a barrel adjuster (assuming you have one).

I would put the rear derailleur in the smallest sprocket and see how much cable tension there is. If its a bit slack, there's the clue.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Many Thanks,

I have three cogs on the front which one do i put the chain on please to adjust the gears?

plus i assume i twist the adjuster (clokwise or anticlockwise)

Thank You
    Al
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Albrynmair wrote:
    Many Thanks,

I have three cogs on the front which one do i put the chain on please to adjust the gears?

plus i assume i twist the adjuster (clokwise or anticlockwise)

Thank You
    Al

Doesn't matter which front cog, probably the middle one. The adjuster should be twisted anti-clockwise to extend it and hence make the cable tighter. Give it a half turn and see how the gears change and skip. By twisting the adjuster you are moving the point at which the rear derailleur stops on every gear. Also look at the derailleur from behind, the top jockey wheel should be directly underneath a cog.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Many Thanks, I will try tonight

Thank you again