Lubing nipples

noodleman
noodleman Posts: 852
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has put a light oil on tubular spoke nipples to stop them seizeing? The reason i ask is because i'm worried the oil could run into the rim and get under the tub tape. Long story but my bike is making a constant click. It disappeared for a while but now its back. I'm wondering if its where the spokes cross or one of the nipples.The only other thing i can think of is where the tub tape stops half an inch either side of the valve if it could be the constant sticking and unsticking of the tape. It's doing my swede in! This happens under power or freewheeling.
argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
Rose pro sl disc

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Likely the valve.

Lubing the nipples is an ancent practice that masks a problem rather than addressing it. It's a bit like having steroid injections instead of replacing a disc... eventually the spine disc will wear out beyond repair and you'd need a bigger surgery.

Don't bother
    left the forum March 2023
  • noodleman
    Maybe I'll start by taping the valve to the rim. I've got those rubber valve cover things to stop rattling on the other bikes but not on this one.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    noodleman wrote:
    Maybe I'll start by taping the valve to the rim. I've got those rubber valve cover things to stop rattling on the other bikes but not on this one.
    That is the most likely explanation. What rim is it? Different rims are more and less prone to this, and it's often worse if you're using valve extenders.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Likely the valve.

Lubing the nipples is an ancent practice that masks a problem rather than addressing it. It's a bit like having steroid injections instead of replacing a disc... eventually the spine disc will wear out beyond repair and you'd need a bigger surgery.

Don't bother
    Perfectly valid point, but terrible example. I've just had steroid injections precisely to delay the bigger surgery, and trust me - that's definitely the preferable option.
  • noodleman
    964Cup wrote:
    noodleman wrote:
    That is the most likely explanation. What rim is it? Different rims are more and less prone to this, and it's often worse if you're using valve extenders.
    Vision metron 40 rims. I've changed two things recently which may have caused it. New tub was the one and new cassette the other. I'll try one thing at a time. Valves first I guess.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    964Cup wrote:

Perfectly valid point, but terrible example. I've just had steroid injections precisely to delay the bigger surgery, and trust me - that's definitely the preferable option.

You have to be careful, my wife did that and then she had to have spinal fusion rather than disc replacement, as in the meantime it kept deteriorating
    left the forum March 2023
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Likely the valve.

Don't bother
    964Cup wrote:

You have to be careful, my wife did that and then she had to have spinal fusion rather than disc replacement, as in the meantime it kept deteriorating

You imply that disc replacement is an appropriate and validated intervention for disc degeneration - which it isn't. Injections arguably have a valid role to play in symptom control. Disc degeneration is almost by definition progressive - fusion is sometimes necessary where there is potential instability and for intractable pain. Disc replacement just isn't done as a normal response to degenerate discs.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D