Slipping rear wheel...

TheSloog
TheSloog Posts: 50
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi folks,
My back wheel is being forced away from the drivetrain side until it wedges against the seatstay when I am climbing steep hills.
It's a vintage (early to mid 90s) Ciocc on which I'm using mavic aksium 9 speed and while it's not a 100% perfect fit I've had no trouble for the last couple of years...
Any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sounds as simple as not doing your QR up tight enough. Without trying to insult you, are you ensuring that adjustments to width are made by turning the end nut and then using (only) the lever to close, with enough pressure to leave a small mark on your fingers?

You could also have some residual oil/grease on the inside of the dropouts/wheel axles so maybe take the wheel out, give everything a good clean and then reassemble.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Are the serrated end pieces of the skewer that 'squeeze' the dropouts corroded to the point that they no longer grip?

As above - likely just needs the QR doing tighter but sometimes cheap skewers can become slightly flakey and replacements become needed. Nice excuse for new wheels?? :wink::lol::lol:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • TheSloog
    The QR is going on as tight as I can manage - to the point where it's a real struggle to remove it... and it's as clean as the proverbial whistle!
    I've a suspicion (after reading another thread somewhere) that an old-fashioned Campag or Shimano skewer might be the answer, though.
    I still have the originals from the Ciocc so here's hoping...
  • TheSloog
    For anyone vaguely interested... tried using a very old Mavic QR skewer and, though only on short spin, it seemed to do the job...