Repair bottom bracket shell threads

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,217
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anybody know any companies I can contact to have the stripped threads in my (alloy) frame repaired - with an insert or a helicoil?

Bottom bracket is a Hollowtech II.

LBS at home and at work have suggested BETD and Argos - any others?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Argos will ream and sleeve the BB shell, a steel sleeve in an alloy frame will be a lot better. They did a frame of mine in the past.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • toys19
    toys19 Posts: 90
    Argos do a great job, alternatively have you tried running a BB thread tool through it? I have one if you are in Exeter and will happily have a go for you. I have fixed a few like this, if it is too far gone then Argos do the best job. I have also heard good things about BETD.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You do get threadless BBs in square taper, but haven't seen an HTII one. Might be out there somewhere.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/prestine-thr ... prod16505/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    toys19 wrote:
    Argos do a great job, alternatively have you tried running a BB thread tool through it?
    One LBS said they could fix it, but all they did was run the taps through it and suggested some loctite. To be fair it did make it better, but it's only postponing the inevitable and as the frame is all in bits I've sent it off for a proper repair.

I tried ringing Argos and there was no answer, so dropped them an email and got no reply?
    cooldad wrote:
    You do get threadless BBs in square taper, but haven't seen an HTII one. Might be out there somewhere.
    <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/prestine-threadless-68mm-sealed-bearing-bottom-bracket-for-frames-with-damaged-threads-prod16505</span>/
    I had a look but couldn't find one. I did wonder if you could ream the shell and put in a press fit bottom bracket but I didn't think the shell would be big enough.
  • toys19
    toys19 Posts: 90
    I emailed last time and got fast response.
    Tel: 0117 9724730
    Fax: 0117 9724730
    Email: sales@argoscycles.com