Selling a bike to buy a bike

Andyn11
Andyn11 Posts: 31
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've been looking to sell my carrera gryphon hybrid to fund either a new mtb (along with the sale of my claud Butler rock mountain bike) or swap the hybrid for a decent mountain bike...

I've had what I would consider silly offers via Gumtree, and apart from a few storage scrapes and scratches on the hybrid it's like new even tho it's a older 2012ish bike I've had offers kinda to good to be true (specialized allez with carbon forks) that I've thought it must have damage to the carbon forks, and an offer of a 1996 mtb with an upgrade to the rigid forks to a lower entry version of the Sr suntour suspension forks on my current claud Butler (mine are adjustable the other ones aren't)

But what iam really thinking is with my carrera gryphon hybrid (as standard) with Aclass alx 320 rims and kenda tires. 24 gears with shimano tiagra on the back and straight bars. The only downfall I see about the bike is cosmetic and the fact it doesn't have disc brakes

But am I being unrealistic? The bike was £370 brand new and in really good condition with little use and iam getting offers at a value of £65ish

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick it on Ebay with a 99p start, and it will sell for what people think it's worth. I reckon it won't be what you want.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Gryphon is certainly worth more than £65, If it's disc braked I'd expect £100-150. A little less for a V-braked.

My Commuter is based on a Gryphon frame, weighs in at 9Kg dead (not much else except the headset is original!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Andyn11
    I've got it listed on Gumtree at £100 since as I've said it's in near mint condition

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/carr ... 1162973746

Others on Gumtree going for £150

My main issue on using it is the fact it's fully rigid. But really should I learn to ride without relying on suspension?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're riding on tarmac suspension won't really do anything. It doesn't really react to small potholes and bumpy roads. Mountain bike suspension is designed for off road use, only the top end stuff has really good sensitivity for small bumps.
    You'd get more comfort from using wider tyres.
  • The Rookie
    Add road and bike in the title (for searches), also mention the better wheelset.

If you are just going to use the MTB on road, its not really worth the swap, get some 28 or 32mm tyres on it.

Use ebay advanced search for completed listings to give you an idea.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Andyn11
    So would I be able to get wider tyres to fit the aclass rims? Sorry for any noobish questions

I don't usaly ride on the road as there is a cycle path clearly marked all the way through my town and is the route I take if I ain't riding my small selection of dirt tracks and trails (witch are dotted along the cycle track anyway)

Like the suspension due to the amount of curbs I bump and and down
  • The Rookie
    It will take bigger tyres, the rear you can just about squeeze in a 32mm if the wheel is true and has the correct dish, at the front you could go to a hybrid tyre, 45mm if you wanted.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Watch a few on eBay over the next week or so and see what they go for.