What size Giant Anthem 27.5

Antez33
Antez33 Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
What size Anthems are people riding around 5'10 - 5'11 size and how do they find them for size?

I am looking at purchasing a Giant Anthem 1 27.5 (2015 model) but having a bit of a dilema on the size, I am 5'10.5 with 32.5" inseam, my is armspan shorter than height by 1.5"

I Generally go for 18.5-19.5" mtb frame size and currently ride a ML Giant Defy Advanced road bike with a 100mm stem, i seem to be well within a Medium according to Giant's size chart for the Anthem as there is no ML size: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_u ... SIZING.jpg

I have sat on a Medium in the shop with a 80mm stem and 730mm bars, reach seemed about right with about 2.5-3" standover clearance although hard to tell as could only test around car park and not on actual trail. No large in stock close by to me compare unfortunately.

Seatpost was not near the min insertion marker (i think it's a 400mm post) but having 270mm seems an awful lot of seatpost showing and I'm a bit worried about getting a bike that's too small!

Any advice appreciated, thanks guys.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can book an extended test ride on all Giant bikes.

Wheel size is not relevant to whether a frame fits as that is down to the pedal/saddle/grip locations, standover isnt relevant either, just a 'nice to have'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I think as soon as you see a large it will look to big,I was looking at a Trance last year,and found an ex-demo one in large for sale not to far from me,as soon as i saw it in the shop,it looked massive I did not even try to sit on it,I'm 5'10"
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and went for the medium. Fits perfect, especially now I've replaced the 80mm stem with a 50mm and put some wider bars on. When I looked at the geometry I would have really struggled to get the seat far enough forward with a large.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I find Giants sizing to be quite small. I'm 6'1" and the large is too small for me.
    I think you could be borderline medium / large. You really need a proper test ride.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Well,

Probably M, as it seems to be the correct size for your height, however, I am same height and ride anthem x2 in size large - tried size M but felt so cramped.

I would suggest to go for one of the demo days that Giant does around UK and try them or, as Rookie said get the demo bike.

C.
  • Antez33
    Thanks for the input guys. I've managed to get a test ride arranged on a medium 16 model that appears to have the same geometry as the 15 model I was looking at.

trek_dan what size bars you using now that you've shortened the stem? Do you still get the same reach/position over the front or do the bars feel closer?

Cheers,
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Gone up to a 780mm with zero rise, get the position wider and lower. Definitely feel slightly closer to the stem but the position is far better for me.
  • I'm same height but with 33" inseam and arms 2.5 inches longer than height. My Anthem is a large size with stock 740 mm bars and a 50 mm stem.

After 10 months of riding it I recon I could go 10 mm or so shorter on the stem which makes me think a medium would have been fine with a 60 mm stem on. I do have a bit more set back on my saddle than some though because my femurs are fairly long.
  • kawaspresso
    kawaspresso Posts: 106
    I'm 177cm (5'10") and my medium Anthem is perfect size for me !
  • ArnieB
    ArnieB Posts: 16
    I bought a medium Anthem 27.5 2015 in January. I am 5ft 11in with a 31in leg - I think this fits me perfectly well. I wouldn't want to go bigger. I have a large size Voodoo bizango and I think that is too big for me as I have to push the saddle as low as it will go to ride it comfortably. I appreciate that different bikes ride differently but just saying...
  • Antez33
    Just an update guys - gave the Medium Anthem a good test ride around a 15 mile local trail and that pretty much sold it to me. Spot on for size, felt nice and comfortable. (went for the 15 model in the sales which came with a 120mm fork upgrade)

Settled on a 760mm race face atlas bar with a 65mm stem seems to be the sweet spot for reach and control for me.

Did happen to finally see a large and they do look like a bit of a gate due to the design of the high top tube - no clearance at all, was resting on the top tube when stood over + It would of been too long without a super short stubby stem on for me which I think would mess up the handling/climbing for this type of bike.

As for the ride - lively bike, really impressed with how the Maestro suspension feels almost like a hardtail with little bob/flex, certainly recommended if you like a robust xc/trail bike!
    Cheers
  • Antez33
    Oxoman - it is the standard Anthem 1 with fork upgrade.

Pretty sweet bike, somewhere between a light trail bike and a burley xc machine that you can really chuck around! It'll get a good bedding in this weekend at the Wiggle ups and downs 8)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I'm just under 6ft and found the large slightly too big and the medium slightly too small.If only Giant did an m/l as they do on their road bikes! My Defy in that size is perfect.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Antez33 wrote:
    Just an update guys - gave the Medium Anthem a good test ride around a 15 mile local trail and that pretty much sold it to me. Spot on for size, felt nice and comfortable. (went for the 15 model in the sales which came with a 120mm fork upgrade)

Settled on a 760mm race face atlas bar with a 65mm stem seems to be the sweet spot for reach and control for me.

Did happen to finally see a large and they do look like a bit of a gate due to the design of the high top tube - no clearance at all, was resting on the top tube when stood over + It would have been too long without a super short stubby stem on for me which I think would mess up the handling/climbing for this type of bike.

As for the ride - lively bike, really impressed with how the Maestro suspension feels almost like a hardtail with little bob/flex, certainly recommended if you like a robust xc/trail bike!
    Cheers

Be careful - its quite fast bike ;))

Enjoy!

C.