Shed Security

Jay_Forme
Jay_Forme Posts: 132
edited April 2016 in Road general
Having recently read the Thread about securing your bike in garages, how do you secure your bike in a wooden shed?

I recently renewed my bike insurance and it requests a gold rated lock, which is fine, but what do I connect it to?

At the moment I have two 25kg concrete containers filled and the bike is chained up with them using a Kryptonite gold rated chain.

Would my Insurance company turn me down if I was to have the bike stolen as the drums are moveable?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Clearly a wooden shed has to be regarded as basically non-existent. It has limited weather proofing capabilities and that's about all.

If it has a concrete base then you're going to want a ground anchor, drilled directly into the ground. I think you're right that buckets won't do.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would suggest actually talking to the insurance company. They can be a lot less prescriptive that folks may think. Explain your scenario and see if the person on the call can give advice. Ensure that you get the adviser's name and timestamp of the call.

I would normally suggest an anchor but 2 x 25kg concrete filled drums sounds up to the job.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Jay_Forme
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I would suggest actually talking to the insurance company. They can be a lot less prescriptive that folks may think. Explain your scenario and see if the person on the call can give advice. Ensure that you get the adviser's name and timestamp of the call.

I would normally suggest an anchor but 2 x 25kg concrete filled drums sounds up to the job.

As daft as it sounds, I didn't even think about calling them and asking. :oops:

drlodge wrote:
    Look at the shed shackle <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php</span&gt;

I actually love the idea of that!
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I use a shed shackle fixed to my wooden shed and secure my bikes with a 13mm security chain and top of the range padlock. I have a number of additional security measures in place too.

A well built secure wooden shed is as good as any other bike storage solution.
  • Jay_Forme
    What do you think of the Shed Shackle Johnny?
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Jay_Forme wrote:

Well worth the investment without a doubt. Go for the bundle option - £150ish. Once secured it'll take someone very determined to cut through the metal loop that takes the chain. If properly secured, the shackle can't be removed without taking half the shed with it!

I'm confident as I can be that my bikes are safe in my shed. If I wasn't, they wouldn't be in the shed.
  • Jay_Forme
    johnny25 wrote:
    Jay_Forme wrote:

Well worth the investment without a doubt. Go for the bundle option - £150ish. Once secured it'll take someone very determined to cut through the metal loop that takes the chain. If properly secured, the shackle can't be removed without taking half the shed with it!

I'm confident as I can be that my bikes are safe in my shed. If I wasn't, they wouldn't be in the shed.

Awesome. looks like ive found my payday purchase.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd focus on not letting people know the bike is there = so strava or garmin connect - lock the privacy. Don't let strangers follow you on it. Don't put up pics of the bike on FB or twitter or whatever.

If people know a good bike is there - they will get at it.

Is a metal shed an option ?
  • Jay_Forme
    Fenix wrote:
    I'd focus on not letting people know the bike is there = so strava or garmin connect - lock the privacy. Don't let strangers follow you on it. Don't put up pics of the bike on FB or twitter or whatever.

If people know a good bike is there - they will get at it.

Is a metal shed an option ?

Strava and Garmin are on full lock down, only have a few friends on there and that's it.

I don't use FB or twitter, I am on Instagram but that's set to private.

I would love a Metal Shed but the house came with a brand new shed (its a new build house) so the Mrs is having none of it.
  • fenix
    Metal shed INSIDE the wooden one. She'll never know... ;-)
  • Jay_Forme
    Having spoke to the insurance company this morning, they have said that as long as the shed is up to scratch and the door is locked that's all they require.
    Having any form of ground anchor/chain/lock inside is a bonus.

so it would appear that the 2 drums of concrete and chain are fine.

Thanks for the help guys.
  • Bobbinogs
    Good stuff, make sure you write the name of the person you spoke to and the timestamp onto the policy as it will give any future case credibility, even if the advice you have been given is technically incorrect.

Also check carefully to make sure that future policy renewals do not have any gotchas in the small print, like a change of caveats for cover, etc., as this is one area where small changes can make a big difference. I do personally think the 2x25kg drums and a gold standard lock is as good as it gets but just be wary of who can see what when you are putting the bike into/or out of the shed.

Happy days.
  • Jay_Forme
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Good stuff, make sure you write the name of the person you spoke to and the timestamp onto the policy as it will give any future case credibility, even if the advice you have been given is technically incorrect.

Also check carefully to make sure that future policy renewals do not have any gotchas in the small print, like a change of caveats for cover, etc., as this is one area where small changes can make a big difference. I do personally think the 2x25kg drums and a gold standard lock is as good as it gets but just be wary of who can see what when you are putting the bike into/or out of the shed.

Happy days.

I wrote down the name of the person on the back of the insurance print out and asked them to log it which she did so fingers crossed its covered all bases.

luckily enough the only entrance into my garden is via a gate next to my house, other than that its over the neighbours fences which is hard work (believe me, I kicked a ball over last weekend and had to retrieve it as they was away).
    This Gate also has a decent lock, its also a nice quite cul de sac so never any thru cars.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 440
    Can I recommend the Maplins PIR Alarm as a very useful £21 spent in deterring any would be thief. This is a battery operated small alarm which gives a very very loud ear piercing alarm sound should shed/ garage be broken in to.
    I have had it set up for 9 months now and battery still fine. I set it off by accident recently and it really hurt my ear drums. We can hear it sounding from our bedroom which is at the front of the house with all doors/ windows shut.
    I have ground anchors etc but this is a further deterrent at a v cheap price and v easy to set up. Here,s the link to Maplins website.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pir-intruder- ... 0wod5jkPLg

Hope helpful.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Another cheapish anti theft trick is to attach chicken wire to the inside.
  • fenix
    You can get that maplin alarm a lot cheaper on eBay but it's good.

If you want more products you can get alarms that will alert you on your phone assuming your wifi reaches the shed. And the sirens will go off too.
  • Bobbinogs
    Garry H wrote:

mmm, although that sounds like a paltry security measure.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

mmm, although that sounds like a poultry security measure.

FTFY.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Garry H
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

FTFY.

10/10
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

FTFY.
    On the plus side, if the bike does get stolen, you can expect the beak to take a keen interest.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

FTFY.

Err, didn't get the "sounds like" bit then :wink:
  • Stay on topic please shed security not coop.
  • Garry H
    Home Alone style shenanigans