Shoes – low at ankle and wide at forefoot

onyourright
onyourright Posts: 509
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello, all.

I have protruding ankle bones and apparently they are pretty low too, because they easily get bruised or chaffed by the edges of the upper.

Additionally, I need a stiff sole or I go numb.

And if there isn’t enough space at the forefoot for my toes to splay out, I get problems there instead.

Yup, I’m a fussy bugger.

Any suggestions for something that meets all of the following?
  • stiff sole (but doesn’t have to be carbon)
  • low at the ankle
  • wide at the forefoot (doesn’t need to be high)
  • not Shimano (they don’t suit my feet at all, even the wide-fit versions – for example, I can’t stand how the sole curls up at the front under your big toe)
  • for three-bolt (road) cleats
  • prefer black but white is okay
  • the cheaper the better
  • don’t care about weight
Cheers.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Specialized worth a try if there is a stockist near you.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I don't have quite the same requirements as you do, but I do have wide feet and finally settled on a pair of Sidi Genius 5 Fit Mega (wide) shoes. They have been a massive improvement on my old Specialized Elite Touring shoes which became uncomfortable after 40+ miles. So much so, that I ended up buying a second pair in white after seeing them on sale a few months ago. For what it's worth, the distance from the lowest point of the ankle to the innersole measures 5cm, about 2.5cm of which is pretty soft spongey material and then its leather from there to the innersole. My ankle bones are pretty clear of the shoe when they're on. If it'd help I can take a photo when I get the chance.
    http://www.bikechaincafe.com/sidi-geniu ... -2016.html
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bont - low ankle and wide forefoot. May not qualify as 'cheap' though...
  • I have to use a piece of foam in my Specialized Pro race shoes otherwise the upper digs in the front on my foot as my foot is shallow. That works for me as the shoes are otherwise very comfortable. I upgraded this year and tried the S works shoe and they were worse so bought another pair of the Pro's and the piece of foam had been transferred. The 10 year old ones are now on winter duty and are so soft in the upper the foam is no longer needed!!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    As mentioned, Bont have low ankles. as do DMT
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Thanks for the ideas.

Cmcdonnell: could you explain a little more what you mean about the piece of foam? Does the shoe dig into your foot at the top of tongue or somewhere else?

The top of the tongue area sometimes bothers me, perhaps because I pedal with a fairly flat foot (not toe-down).
  • The strap but was cutting in to the top of my foot on the front towards the inside. When I drop my heel it cut in quite noticably but the foam ( can't remember where it came from, maybe a walking boot insole or volume reducer) lifts my heel just enough. The boa system was much worse as it had less give and seemed to come up higher. I do have a small heel and have had to buy ladies running shoes and waking boots in the past as then often have a decent width forefoot but lower volume heel; it's quite good at a size 40 as I have the option
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    As above.. bontrager. I've got the same shape of foot and I managed to pick up a pair of shimano r320's cheapish which are ideal as well.