Birthday money burning a hole

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Not a lot of money but I have £90 burning a hole in my pocket from the kids for my birthday.

Been racking my brains what to spend it on (obviously cycling related!)
Wife suggested a new long sleeve jersey that actually matches my bike (white/black with a touch of light blue) but don't really want to blow it all on a jersey.
I have most necessities and obviously new cycling clothing never goes amiss. Any suggestions on what to spend up on?

Comments

• 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    Not a lot of money but I have £90 burning a hole in my pocket from the kids for my birthday.

Been racking my brains what to spend it on (obviously cycling related!)
    Wife suggested a new long sleeve jersey that actually matches my bike (white/black with a touch of light blue) but don't really want to blow it all on a jersey.
    I have most necessities and obviously new cycling clothing never goes amiss. Any suggestions on what to spend up on?
    Perhaps a fancy set of Tires(Conti GP400S2 or the overly hyped Michelin Power) with laytex tubes, some bar tape and new inner cables?

Or a new saddle?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    take the kids to lego-land, earn your brownie points for spending later in the year.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Cool new helmet
    Glasses
    Shoes
    Tape, cables, tyres as above
    Merino base, arms and legs
    Couple of sportive or race entries (+food/petrol)
    Bibs
    Club membership and jersey
    Struggling now.... lots of cake?
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Shoes or Saddle. That should get you into the realm of something right nice on sale.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    add a tenner of your own and get some Rapha Core shorts
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    take the kids to lego-land, earn your brownie points for spending later in the year.
    If they've given him £90 for his birthday I hope they are too old for Legoland.
    Buy something you wouldn't normally buy yourself, a treat of something a bit frivolous.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Castelli Gabba all day long !
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Aldi are doing the Garmin Edge 25 for £79.99 - not sure when though - it might be today that they are in stores? Actually, it was last sunday so maybe sold out now.

I got one online when they had online stock, seems a good bargain as you can't really find them for less than £100 elsewhere (I prepare to be corrected).
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    if you have to rack the brain to think of something to buy, why buy it?
    if I had £90 right now to spend on my bike I would get myself some new shoes, but that's because I need them rather than buying for the sake of it.

If you cant think of anything to actually buy, get the bike services, new cables, brake pads, bar tape and you will enjoy the look and feel.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    If you have to rack your brain to try and think of something to buy then you clearly don't need anything so put the money away until you actually need something!

I was given money by my kids for my birthday (November) and christmas and I only recently spent it on a new helmet and a pair of Uvex photochromic glasses because i needed both (dropped my old helmet and it rolled onto the road and was squashed by a 20 tonne truck that was passing - just lucky my head wasnt in it at the time!! My old glasses were covered in scratches from being dropped seventy five million times!
  • Some good suggestions. Thanks.
    Last post sums it up really. I suppose there is nothing that I really need. Just thinking spare wad = cycling stuff.
    I think I'll just sit on it and wait to see if anything I really need crops up.
    I'm a bit spoilt, got a Garmin 520 and a Castelli pack away rain/wind top. Should see me right for a while.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Aldi/Lidl have their work stands for £25 on sale again