My S-Works Tarmac eTap "Ghost edition"

G M
G M Posts: 15
edited August 2016 in Your road bikes
My S-WORKS Tarmac Stealth Edition

Frame : Specialized S-WORKS Tarmac 54cm Satin/Gloss Carbon Clean eith 3T and Ritchey parts and Wheels
Full Sram Red Etap Groupset.

Weight 6.790gr (including Garmin Vector pedals)

2016_04_06_13_31_25.jpg
image hosting websites

2016_04_06_13_30_01.jpg
click image upload

2016_04_06_13_25_15.jpg
greenshot

2016_04_06_13_24_49.jpg
post image online

2016_04_06_13_30_34.jpg
adult image upload

Comments

• joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Just when I'd knocked the Tarmac off my "next bike" list you post these pics! This could be my dream bike...
  • Absolutely love that.

Brilliant.

Who built it?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Nicest Spesh I've seen in ages.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • G M
    Thank you all!
    I build everything myself using my own toolset and torque wrenches. eTap was easy and fun to install.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very nice. Random one, but I do like that stem!
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Very snazzy bike!

However, it looks as though your rear brake blocks are facing the wrong way.
  • Looks awesome, lovely bike that ! great build !
  • G M
    jrich wrote:
    Very snazzy bike!

However, it looks as though your rear brake blocks are facing the wrong way.

Good observation...I did noticed after a while an corrected
  • Minoura bike stand has been the worst bike related purchase of my life..

That's some slanted position...are you a racer ?
  • G M
    Yes I do race in endurance and dualthlon sports (run/bike/run)

here is a photo with my Sworks in a run/bike transition

image.jpg
    upload an image
  • Very very nice bike!
  • Hats off to you sir,those legs were not built in a single night...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Nice bike.
    Bad socks.
  • mekong_velo
    mekong_velo Posts: 102
    Stunning machine that, well jealous.

Regards
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • G M
    Thank you

Garry about the socks you are right - not the best looking but since they are my lucky pair I wear them in every race... :)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    G M wrote:
    Thank you

Garry about the socks you are right - not the best looking but since they are my lucky pair I wear them in every race... :)

How do you get on though? :wink:

Don't worry if you lose them or they fall to bits, I have a lucky pair of pants that I'm willing to part with for the right price!

Edit: Oh I just noticed that what I thought were socks are those calf things. I take it back, your socks look ok...
  • Kevo27
    Kevo27 Posts: 95
    Nice bike, how do you rate the Etap, considering this on my current steed.
  • G M
    Kevo27 wrote:
    Nice bike, how do you rate the Etap, considering this on my current steed.

First impressions of the eTap

The installation is relatively easy
    Be careful to align the front derailleur - margins from crank arm, FD cage and adjustment bolts are just few millimeters.
    All settings are made electronically and you are ready to go – We use screws only for first time alignment regulating extreme positions in first and last cassette cog. Its very nice to throw away all these heavy cables.
    Nice integration with Garmin Edge 1000 providing usefull info (Gears, battery, combinations, ratio, etc)

Regarding operation:
    So easy to use from the first minute - I did not missed a gear change the left/right combination is very convenient
    Faster changes compared to Dura Ace 9000 and completely silent
    Rear derailleur accurate and never missed a gear or had a misalignment
    You can only hear front derailleur – not an issue even extreme position and / or load
    The controls of eTap are smaller in dimensions (hoods) with a better grip on the brakes – they don’t provide a very good pull lever for hill climbing

About the rest group set.

Brakes are a similar to Dura Ace but less progressive - their adjustments could be better
    Cassette is very light and easy to install since its one single block
    Crankset is light and rigid changes are easily made - in extreme angles in noisier compared to Dura Ace

I also tried a combination with DA 9000 chain & cassette – it works flawlessly (no adjustments needed) and its more quite so this is my current setup

2016_04_13_11_39_08.jpg
    gif image hosting

2016_04_15_11_33_27.jpg
    screenshot windows 7
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Very nice indeed.

I'm not sure I'd agree that eTap was silent though... Mine still retains that industrial SRAM clunk as you change at the back - very similar to the mechanical Red groupset. Shimano is a lot quieter in my experience with Campag somewhere in between.
    Not a criticism btw - I rather like it... Reminds me of an American muscle car gearbox vs a Nissan GTR for the Shimano. Although I may have overthought it.
  • G M
    My reference is Dura Ace 9000 / Mechanical which I believe is the smoother and more silent cable drivetrain.
    The changes in the rear are total silent and the front is similar to DA noise.

I only noticed some noise when I am in the big or small ring combination with the three last largest cassette cogs caused by chain angle. The noise came from the chain rings which are not grooved in the sides like Shimano 11s cranks.

After some testing by mixing DA parts I realized the noise was caused from Red chain. I installed a new DA/XTR chain and noise disappeared. I now use my DA chain and cassette and I can say I am impressed since in this area Shimano did a great job....
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Have you still got both bottles?

My elite aeros fly out so easily over bumps when full.
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    Evil look!
  • G M
    izza wrote:
    Have you still got both bottles?

My elite aeros fly out so easily over bumps when full.

Yes izza - I do have both elite TT bottles and a spare one.

they have snug fit - no issues even in rough terrain where some times I have dropped regular bottles. For small vibrations I glued a small rubber piece where the bottle contacts the cage and they are silent.
  • G M
    After a fracture I stop riding for a while...

Yesterday I did my first solid long ride without leg pain - Pic from a coffer stop with a friend's Madone.
    Bike has some minor cosmetic changes.

Etap is fantastic and I enjoy riding and its multishifting feature

2016_05_08_10_34_00.jpg
    image upload no compression
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    That gear display on the monitor is great. No more looking down at the cassette!
  • Jim_F
    Jim_F Posts: 7
    If Batman had a bike......
  • ajmitchell
    ajmitchell Posts: 203
    G M wrote:
    Yes I do race in endurance and dualthlon sports (run/bike/run)

here is a photo with my Sworks in a run/bike transition
    [/url]

.....Awesome bike, pretty much perfect, love it! .....and looks like it paid off with your top result in that event so congrats on all fronts!! ;)
  • G M
    This is my new S-WORKS bike dedicated for duathlon and Time trials... :) I enjoy riding in aero position and this bike is VERY fast..

2016_07_22_19_54_50.jpgphoto hosting
  • kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    Very envious of your bikes GM.

...very envious!