Opinions on moderating?

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pinno wrote:
    Says the ringleader of the peanut gallery.

Uh? I am the ring leader of the peanut gallery.

The king is dead, long live the King!!!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Interestingly Rick, I seem to be the one on the receiving end of abuse and am saying things are better than they were when things were more sanitised. :lol:

You need sanitising. May I suggest Lithium?

I'll get my coat.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Interestingly Rick, I seem to be the one on the receiving end of abuse and am saying things are better than they were when things were more sanitised. :lol:

I'll get my coat.

Yes get your coat and feck off you has been.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Immediate made the right decision
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I'll get my coat.

Yes get your coat and feck off you has been.

I hereby declare me in a state of war with Bally.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Says pretty much everyone on this thread apart from you Rick. Are you starting to get the drift? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Says pretty much everyone on this thread apart from you Rick. Are you starting to get the drift? :wink:

Never mind that, have you got peanuts?
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I've got some cashews, will they do?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Mine are hanging on the wall
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Roasted? Cashews are far too good to chuck around the Asylum.

Did you get a 'snip' job TLW?
  • Stevo_666
    It might explain why he keeps jibbing out of uplift days.
  • tlw1
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Roasted? Cashews are far too good to chuck around the Asylum.

Did you get a 'snip' job TLW?

Let me just check.....

Nope all good
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It might explain why he keeps jibbing out of uplift days.

Done more miles on the mtb this month than the whole of last year - need to sort out another day
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:

To be honest, I still regard Pinno as leader.
    After all, it was Rick that bestowed the title on me and no-one pays him any mind do they?
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

To be honest, I still regard Pinno as leader.
    After all, it was Rick that bestowed the title on me and no-one pays him any mind do they?

You're stepping down?! I was really looking forward to a bun fight followed by some beers, strippers and an after party. :roll:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    For me the moderating hasn't changed in either direction of good or bad but then maybe I'm fairly relaxed about how I see things on here.

Confession...I voluntarily moderated a gaming server for a while a few years back for a pc magazine and thus was responsible for decisions on bans and punishments. It was (obviously) a largely male enviroment but we had probably half a dozen regular female players and if I had a pound for all the stupid comments that used to appear over chat and on air whenever a female used the mic and some new guys realised a girl was playing...jesus, it was ridiculous. And some were genuinely nasty. I spent far too much time banning those nobbers and dealing with their appeals and excuses on the forums.

The remarks I witnessed on there have always led to me find this place rather tame in comparison regarding attitudes to women. I don't doubt it's intimidating for new posters but the crap that gets talked on here is more like the stuff you hear in the dressing room before a sunday league football game. Again, I've plenty of experience of that. Most of the guys will be married or in a relationship and it's just the nonsense they spout when being let free for a few hours.

If that's not welcome here then the site owners should make it explicit. To call it misogyny on the Guardians terms is daft though imo as that place works to their own pre-determined agenda. The women at the school gates thread on here was a prime example, apparently it's all the work of evil men who judge women by appearance but from my experience I've heard just as many nasty comments about other womens appearances from other women as I have from blokes. According to that paper though these women don't exist, it's only men who say these things. No woman has every critised another women's appearance behind her back of course, that just doesn't happen :|
  • pinno
    I know of a female who used to be a regular in CS and BB, believe it or not. What she said was interesting. She used to run a garage. As it was (is) a predominantly male environment, she got used to the banter. She said that male banter was funny and women rarely 'got it' - they tended to get b1tchy in similar situations.

I am a family man. Not married (might as well be). I have never frequented a strip club and never would. I would never say something sexist or derogatory out of a humorous context in the street but I could guarantee, there would be some women out there who frequent this forum and would cast me in a very bad light. I have posted on the women's section of the forum and got totally blanked?! This I cannot understand. Someone wanted some advice about a first 'decent' bike for £500 and in another thread, I made some light hearted non-sexist jokes about unpadded bib tights.... then the inexplicable tumbleweed moment.
    In one particular thread that went totally overboard, I was sent a deluge of PM's from a female forum member who wanted me to put pressure on the mods to get certain people banned for supposed sexist comments!

Some of the stuff on facebake is astonishing. It's very very tame here and I am glad but what you do about attracting and retaining new female members, I have no idea.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Pinno wrote:
    I have posted on the women's section of the forum and got totally blanked?! This I cannot understand. Someone wanted some advice about a first 'decent' bike for £500 and in another thread, I made some light hearted non-sexist jokes about unpadded bib tights.... then the inexplicable tumbleweed moment.

Perhaps thats the equivalent of using the female toilets and starting a conversation at the sametime while leaving the door ajar?

I'm happy to talk cycling with anyone and listen to their opinion, be it Donald trump, Corbyn, Boris or Doris .... :D Even Glaswegians who use kitchen foil for bar tape or accountants who get 'uplifts' up a hill rather than cycle. :shock:

So what can we use as a fanny magnet? :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The Guardian

As a frequent user of The Guardian website ( or I was until today).

1). It seems they're scared of libel, comments were suddenly disallowed after the Panama Papers.
    2). The Guardian has a big political bias, heaven forbid if you disagree with their agenda.
    3). The journalists dont like it if you criticise their articles. They dont get it that if we did an appalling rushed job with no effort, then in the real world our workplace or customers would have something to say.
    4). You can say something negative about Jeremy Corbyn, thats allowed. But if the person your commenting about is a female or a minority then thats automatically sexist or racist.

Regardless of the facts !

Its a sad day for freedom of speech. When pc gets in the way of the truth, sometimes the truth just isn't nice.
    And yet their own journalists are hypocritical, completely dismissive about anyone who doesn't meet their own political agenda... Sanders or Corbyn for example.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Stevo_666
    Slowmart wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I have posted on the women's section of the forum and got totally blanked?! This I cannot understand. Someone wanted some advice about a first 'decent' bike for £500 and in another thread, I made some light hearted non-sexist jokes about unpadded bib tights.... then the inexplicable tumbleweed moment.

Perhaps thats the equivalent of using the female toilets and starting a conversation at the sametime while leaving the door ajar?

I'm happy to talk cycling with anyone and listen to their opinion, be it Donald trump, Corbyn, Boris or Doris .... :D Even Glaswegians who use kitchen foil for bar tape or accountants who get 'uplifts' up a hill rather than cycle. :shock:

You're such a misogynist Slowmart :D

But that's not the worst bit. I am offended on behalf of all accountants who get uplifts :P
  • Stevo_666
    ben@31 wrote:
    The Guardian

As a frequent user of The Guardian website ( or I was until today).

1). It seems they're scared of libel, comments were suddenly disallowed after the Panama Papers.
    2). The Guardian has a big political bias, heaven forbid if you disagree with their agenda.
    3). The journalists dont like it if you criticise their articles. They dont get it that if we did an appalling rushed job with no effort, then in the real world our workplace or customers would have something to say.
    4). You can say something negative about Jeremy Corbyn, thats allowed. But if the person your commenting about is a female or a minority then thats automatically sexist or racist.

Regardless of the facts !

Its a sad day for freedom of speech. When pc gets in the way of the truth, sometimes the truth just isn't nice.
    And yet their own journalists are hypocritical, completely dismissive about anyone who doesn't meet their own political agenda... Sanders or Corbyn for example.
    We have disagreed on things in the past Ben but here I completely agree with what you posted.

Unfortunately these sorts of PC attitudes are not just restricted to the Guardian website...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Pinno wrote:
    I guess that because I don't frequent parts of the forum, I don't get the impression of the bling brigade. I spend very little on bike bits which may please Ugo.
    Probably sounds silly coming from me but an open minded female moderator would be a good thing.

It's probably because you don't frequent those parts of the forum. I wouldn't call it bling, I would say that the focus is more on the bicycle than it is on the cycling, as pointed out earlier by other user... so the road buying section is way busier than the section where we talk about routes, rides and such... it's even busier than the workshop section! :shock:

I have worked out that the total amount of gear that passes hands in the classfied section per year should buy you a very decent detatched house outside London. If BR charged a small percentage on every transaction, like auction sites do, I bet they could pay one full time person to look after it. That is not because the volume of deals is huge, but rather because the average price of the bikes and components on sale is very high.
    You see second hand bikes going for 2-3K, second hand wheels going for half a grand and so on.
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

But that's not the worst bit. I am offended on behalf of all accountants who get uplifts :P
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... misogynist

"Fraid not :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Man in green? Just realised there were no female mods.

Interestingly, when I left I advised that having a female moderator would be a good thing, to be chosen among the 1-2 members who post occasionally, but that didn't happen

... and yes, we used to shift threads around a bit more, which was a good thing, I think

... and we also made sure that threads were not opened for purely commercial purposes, which seems to happen more and more frequently these days

... basically we used to stick to the rules a bit more

on the plus side, it seems the classifieds section works a lot better now

Is that not more than a bit patronising, suggesting someone for a role on any basis other than their perceived ability to do the job?
    Did V68 not more than ably fill your shoes? I assume he was asked based on qualities he had demonstrated, not some other reason.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ballysmate wrote:

Is that not more than a bit patronising, suggesting someone for a role on any basis other than their perceived ability to do the job?
    Did V68 not more than ably fill your shoes? I assume he was asked based on qualities he had demonstrated, not some other reason.

I was asked to suggest names for possible replacements... I did suggest V68 among others, but I also pointed out that a female moderator would have been more beneficial to attract more female members and re-balance things
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a female moderator?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ugo.santalucia
    seanoconn wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a female moderator?

There was a a member of the admin team (red) who was a female (possibly more than one)... she left ages ago. In terms of moderators in the sense of forum users (green), there isn't one
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Did V68 not more than ably fill your shoes?
    I object to any implications of competence, that's something I have never professed to have. I just have a far more relaxed way of looking at things, this does upset some people.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Did V68 not more than ably fill your shoes?
    ...I just have a far more relaxed way of looking at things, this does upset some people.

We know; we've seen some of the inside of your house. Little wonder your neighbours want you shot.

This HAS to stop VN:

1408359675526_wps_1_Terrible_real_estate_agen.jpg
  • BenderRodriguez
    BenderRodriguez Posts: 907
    edited April 2016
    Ballysmate wrote:
    So Guardian readers are misogynist racists? Ha! I knew it!! :D

Not quite. Look at it from another angle:

Of the top 10 clickbait-generating trolls on the Guardian, 8 are women, constantly provoking normally reasonable readers with endless stories about 'bathing in male tears', 'manspreading', 'mansplaining', imagined sexism, arguing that even the most blatant display of misandry is actually just positive female empowerment, and so on.

The Guardian is about as illiberal as Big Brother when it comes to moderation, and failure to be wholly 'goodthinkful' will lead to comments being deleted, even if they actually adhere to the letter of the moderation rules, closely followed by pre-moderation and banning. (That is, becoming an 'unperson'.)

In Guardian land the fact that they delete so many posts which they deem to be thoughtcrimes is 'proof' that they are the upholders of the freedom of expression and liberal values, whilst their detractors are evil misogynists.

An American feminist called Jessica Valenti is apparently one of those who generates the highest number of deleted comments. Doesn't surprise me as I created a Guardian account and posted a link to one of her own twitter posts in relation to her arguing that no man, even someone working in some menial low-paid job, has a right to complain about anything, or to even raise concerns about issues such as the high level of male suicide. Apparently, such things leave her totally unmoved and wanting to 'bathe in male tears'. Simply posting a link to her wearing her 'I bathe in male tears' T-Shirt saw my post deleted in seconds and me blocked from directly posting anything ever again.

https://twitter.com/jessicavalenti/stat ... lang=en-gb
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.