GPS

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Morning!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a GPS unit that I can download offroad routes onto?

Ta

Comments

• kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    gregwari wrote:
    Morning!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a GPS unit that I can download offroad routes onto?

Ta

Garmin Etrex - cheap as chips on, runs on AA batteries, bulletproof.

i.e.: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-eTrex- ... Swq19XBiJt

(not sure if its allowed to post links here - if not- apologies and, and admin please remove)

K.
  • Wag$ter
    Wag$ter Posts: 69
    I'm using garmin edge 810 if you have gpx file of the route you can put them on
  • I use an old Samsung S3 mobile with tough case and big battery.

Software I use is OSMand (free). (uses off line maps, world wide maps available)

This software allows loading and full navigation of a gpx file (when crossing fields in the middle of nowhere it'll say "in 100 yards bear slightly left" etc as it follows the gpx route).

It'll also say "follow the course of the road for 3 tenths of mile" which becomes intensely annoying during a long granny gear climb!

As I already had the S3, a big battery + case only cost 15 quid from ebay. The software can be set to off the screen between turns and turns it on automatically as you approach a turn. Have yet to use more than 60% battery, long ride is around 10 hours...

Works pretty well for a free app.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I've got a memory map TX4 with the UK OS 1:50k series - it is excellent but costs £300. You can upload OS maps on to it (I have a couple of OS 1:25k local maps I've uploaded. It is Android stores GPX files and has a camera and dual sim phone.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    kinioo wrote:
    gregwari wrote:
    Morning!

Ta

Garmin Etrex - cheap as chips on, runs on AA batteries, bulletproof.

i.e.: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-eTrex- ... Swq19XBiJt

(not sure if its allowed to post links here - if not- apologies and, and admin please remove)

K.

I'd second this. The main reason to get a cycling specific garmin is if you want to add sensors e.g. heart rate and power. In that case the 520 is very nice, but more £££.