Di2 shifting issue

moscowflyer
moscowflyer Posts: 540
edited April 2016 in Workshop
I have a bike with the first gen Di2, now three and a half years old. It's started doing some weird stuff when shifting. The battery is charged, the cables are all connected fine and the battery light comes on when I press the shifters, all good.
However, when I haven't shifted in a while, a quick tap of either shifter won't do anything. I have to press and hold the right shifter for a while and then it will shift a few cogs, at which point the normal shifting works fine again until again another period of inactivity when I have to repeat the process. It's all very annoying.

Anyone come across anything like this before?

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    sounds possibly like dirt/corrosion in the shifter button?
  • Possibly the derailleurs pivots are dry and need a bit of light lube in them
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    It's both shifters so I doubt it's a shifter issue. The whole thing has now died completely so I'm hoping it's just a cable issue.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    gotta love electronics...
    left the forum March 2023
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    gotta love a Luddite....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Gimpl wrote:
    gotta love a Luddite....

The technology was market ready 20 years ago... it took 20 years to make it into something that might stand a chance to survive one winter.
    I think the SRAM wireless (if it works) stands better chances of being a long term reliable product as the wire connections are the inevitable pitfalls. Incidantally it's also way neater. Shame they haven't made an hydraulic version ( I think)

So not necessarily a luddite, just sensible
    left the forum March 2023
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Sounds like a sleep mode ?