Dropper posts

Norco29er
Norco29er Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in MTB general
Question regarding dropper posts. I'm currently looking at a DNM dropper post it says the travel is 130mm and overall length is 330mm. How long would the thicker piece at the top of the seat post be (near the seatpost clamp). Also does 130mm of travel mean 130mm of travel or is it less because of the seat clamp and seat post clamp. Only wondering because I only have 130mm to work with and need to know if the piece by the seatpost clamp adds any height or if the seat clamp adds anymore than normal.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The amount of travel is usually the amount of travel, you then need to factor in the collar by the seat clamp and the clamp for the saddle rails at the top of the post.

For instance, my dropper has a drop of 100mm but requires roughly 175mm of the post being exposed when fully extended.
  • Ok that helps thanks
  • I'm still to bite the bulletnon a dropper, still trying to find the right one at the right price!

Something I considered the other day was using my maintenance stand, I guess this is a no no with a dropper?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sort of....

You should never clamp on the upper half, the dropper mechanism isn't designed to take the pull loads of hanging and working with a bike on it, if you clamp on the lower half you have to keep the clamp load light to prevent crushing.

Just swap in a cheap fixed post for stand work!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If the travel on a dropper post is too long for what's needed does it create any problems? Example if I need 100mm but have 130mm of dropper travel will it annoying to find the correct position while riding?
  • Shouldnt do as long as it doesnt have preset drops...