Blocks for tektro r312

Cbetts83
Cbetts83 Posts: 39
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm new to road cycling and I'm after some help with replacement brake blocks. I've got a Carrera Virtuoso :oops: with Tektro dual pivot calipers and I'm looking for block recommendations for this caliper. The brakes don't seem bad but the pads are shocking! I presume I can just get a better pad than the stock ones, without upgrading these calipers?

image.jpeg

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any of the usual suspects: Koolstop, Swisstop, Shimano, Clarkes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Cbetts83
    Any of the usual suspects: Koolstop, Swisstop, Shimano, Clarkes.

I've heard of the koolstop and there reliability. My blocks are all rubber...I take it I need metal cartridges to be able to use koolstop salmon blocks?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Frankly, if you want to use any 'upper end' replacements, you need to go for cartridges. Personally, in your position, I would just bin the Tektro things and buy a set of Shimano 105 5800 brakes instead (but somebody will probably be along in a minute and tell me I'm wrong!). Note: There are loads of fairly recent threads on this issue - just use the search but be aware that there is also the usual array of divided opinions.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I recently acquired one of these, and among the first things I did was to swap the stock brake blocks (Acme abrasives, or something like that) for some grey Koolstop ones that I had hanging around the garage. Next up was to swap the stock wheelset (which is astonishingly heavy at 2.6Kg) for the not-quite-so-lardaceous OE wheels off my Roubaix - so if you decide that road cycling is for you, consider some lighter wheels as your next upgrade.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Next up was to swap the stock wheelset (which is astonishingly heavy at 2.6Kg)

Bloody hell! I'm no wheel snob but I have to ask - were they solid rubber on iron hoops? Saying that, it did make me wonder how heavy the wheels were on my hybrid and I might have to take them off and weigh them at some point. Then again, perhaps I'm better off not knowing.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Cbetts83
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I recently acquired one of these, and among the first things I did was to swap the stock brake blocks (Acme abrasives, or something like that) for some grey Koolstop ones that I had hanging around the garage. Next up was to swap the stock wheelset (which is astonishingly heavy at 2.6Kg) for the not-quite-so-lardaceous OE wheels off my Roubaix - so if you decide that road cycling is for you, consider some lighter wheels as your next upgrade.

I know what you mean about the wheels :D I've already replaced them with a set of Supra Comps with 25c schwalbe, new grip tape, longer stem, and swapped over the 1.2kg stock forks for 380g Carbon.

Have you got a link to the koolstops you have?
  • Giraffoto
    Here is a link to some Koolstops - get yourself a cheap-as chips set of cartridge pads and swap these in, and you're ready to go. Mine were some end-of-line integrated pads that I'd had hanging around the garage for ages, but the compounds are probably the same
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Cbetts83
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Here is a link to some Koolstops - get yourself a cheap-as chips set of cartridge pads and swap these in, and you're ready to go. Mine were some end-of-line integrated pads that I'd had hanging around the garage for ages, but the compounds are probably the same

Cheers buddy!

Just ordered some. Went out lastnight and found myself with the dreaded speed wobble during a quick downhill decent and it proved how shocking these stock blocks really are!
  • Giraffoto
    Cbetts83 wrote:
    Went out lastnight and found myself with the dreaded speed wobble during a quick downhill decent

Rest your knee against the top tube - it damps the resonance and stops the wobble. Which 380g carbon fork did you replace the stock one with?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Cbetts83
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Cbetts83 wrote:
    Went out lastnight and found myself with the dreaded speed wobble during a quick downhill decent

Rest your knee against the top tube - it damps the resonance and stops the wobble. Which 380g carbon fork did you replace the stock one with?

Theyre '4winn' forks....Carbon fork and Carbon steerer. They were bought by a relative who didn't use them after all....they were all mine as new & mint for a £20 note.

image_1.jpeg