Direct Mount trainers

LeeDa
LeeDa Posts: 82
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a trainer that is most similar to the resistance to riding on the road. I have Kreitler rollers where I can pretty closely hit my threshold power yet I have a Cyclops Jet Fluid Pro where my FTP power drops by about 40 watts when doing a threshold session. I assume its something to do with the intertia / fly wheel.

Note Ive tried reducing the pressure of the clamp on the wheel and it doesnt make much difference. If I go any lighter on the clamp the wheels slips.

Anyone have any suggestions on a trainer that is very similar to riding on the road or on rollers? I was looking at the Elite Volano trainer so any thoughts on that one or any others much appreciated.

Comments

• deanflyer
    deanflyer Posts: 52
    LeMond Revolution. Had mine for a few years now and nothing beats it in my opinion for spin up and road feel. I hate tyre based trainers.

Only downside is it is loud. Definatrly not an option if you live in a flat.
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    deanflyer wrote:
    LeMond Revolution. Had mine for a few years now and nothing beats it in my opinion for spin up and road feel. I hate tyre based trainers.

Only downside is it is loud. Definatrly not an option if you live in a flat.

Unfortunately I do live in a flat but hopefully there's a quieter version of a direct mount trainer
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    deanflyer wrote:

Only downside is it is loud. Defiantly not an option if you live in a flat.

+1
    there is the Tacx Neo
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I would recommend checking out DC Rainmaker's blog. Full of very detailed reviews on trainers, amongst other subjects.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015 ... tions.html