Aerodynamic additions for a road bike turned triathlon bike

joelhaight
joelhaight Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I just purchased a used 2010 Trek Madone 4.5 to upgrade from my old 1981 Raleigh Criterium. My Madone will see a couple forms of road riding (group rides, races, and ultra distance racing), but it's also going to be used this summer in my first Half Ironman distance triathlon.
I am curious what the most efficient placement of water bottles, nutrition, and repair equipment. Some information indicates that keeping the frame clean and placing gear behind the rider on the seat (and a bottle on the aero bars, if applicable), is the best solution. Thoughts?
Looking into additional storage options, what are people's opinions, experience, and suggestions for top tube mounted and down tube mounted bags (Specialized Fuel Cell, Topeak Fuel Tank Bag, XLab Stealth Pocket 500, Profile design ATTK Unit, etc.)?
Thanks for the help!

Comments

• stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I have one of these and love it

top_tube_bag_2.jpg

https://www.velogear.com.au/bicycle-accessories/frame-bags/profile-design-aero-bag.html

Holds loads, be it phone, gels, something savoury, inhaler etc, and easy to use. Put tools & spare tube(s) in smallest seat bag you can find and you are good.

Also good to keep bike comp in while swimming, so its ready when you are

No need to spend a fortune
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I used one of these but to be honest it was not worth the effort for me

https://store.profile-design.com/p/21087/AeroHC

I could not stay in an aero position for four hours so coming up for a swig of a water bottle from an ordinary cage was not a problem. More of a relief on my back tbh

But maybe sipping a lot more would be beneficial if was very hot, that's something I probably should have done

It depends on how well you can hold your aero position
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    A bike leg on a half ironman isn't actually that long. I did one last summer and even the weakest riders were done in 4 hours - it took me 2.45 and the best were about 20 minutes up on me.
    I made do with one of the profile design aerobottles on the tribars and a single bottle on the normal cage on the down tube. I finished the aerobottle and barely touched the other one. If you postion the aerobottle right you barely need to move to drink, so I had no problem remembering to drink at the right intervals. I went through 4 gels too, all of which I stored in the pockets on my Trisuit.
    For a full ironman I can see the point of bottles on the back and bags everywhere but definitely overkill on a half IMO, just adds weight and makes thing less aero.