Giant Propel Intergrated Bar and Stem Options

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi I wonder if anyone can help

I am looking but finding it hard to find options for single piece bar and stem combo's for my 2016 giant propel.

It has the overdrive system which as far as i can work out it 1 1/4"

Any options out there other than giants own offering

Many thanks in advance. PS giants option is listed below.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Contact-S ... C9nvw_wcB#

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Are you not confusing yourself, the 1 1/4" refers to the steerer bearings but the steerer tube is usually described in mm which is effectively 31.8mm which is standard.

Never looked at integrated stem and bars but there's plenty out there in a standard stem size such as cinelli ram, shimano pro stealth evo etc but most from reputable dealers are as expensive as the Giant.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Sandyballs wrote:
    Are you not confusing yourself, the 1 1/4" refers to the steerer bearings but the steerer tube is usually described in mm which is effectively 31.8mm which is standard.

Never looked at integrated stem and bars but there's plenty out there in a standard stem size such as cinelli ram, shimano pro stealth evo etc but most from reputable dealers are as expensive as the Giant.

No, he isnt confusing himself! the steerer on this Giant is 1 and 1/4 inch, a std steerer is 1 and 1/8" the 31.8mm you refer to is the handle bar dia at the stem clamp.

anyway, the only one piece bar/stem (in 1 & 1/4) i ve seen is the Canyon H11 or the H36 aerobar, i have the H11 and its a beautiful bit of engineering and rrp is cheaper than the Giant, it also doesnt use internal cabling, instead a recess channel under bar.

canyon sent mine to me in about 7 to 10 days from ordering.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I have the giant one and its pretty good, stiff and comfortable. Also has a couple of screws underneath which you can attach a junction box plus a garmin mount too
  • Thanks for the replies,

I contacted Canyon today but they said they do not sell the H11 separate at this time but they are looking into it. So that option is out at the moment. Not sure how you got yours lol

As for the giant option, what is the weight please ? The thing that puts me off the giant ones is they are not as thing on the front on profile as others canyon for example but then other standalone bars like the Zipps etc are ultra thin.

Seems like the 1 1/4 steerer is a limiting factor here. :(
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    mamba80 wrote:
    Sandyballs wrote:

No, he isnt confusing himself! the steerer on this Giant is 1 and 1/4 inch, a std steerer is 1 and 1/8" the 31.8mm you refer to is the handle bar dia at the stem

My bad, actually confusing myself, Giant have really done a number with that sizing, glad my TCR Adv is the older standard size.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

I contacted Canyon today but they said they do not sell the H11 separate at this time but they are looking into it. So that option is out at the moment. Not sure how you got yours lol (

i got mine by asking Canyon to get me a set in lieu for a damaged front wheel on a new aeroad, the cheaper model that comes with normal round bars, the invoice was for £289.... my mistake for assuming they were an option to buy separately.

obvious solution is use the 1 - 1/4 stem with the Zipp bars? or Easton EC90 ?
  • mamba80 wrote:

I contacted Canyon today but they said they do not sell the H11 separate at this time but they are looking into it. So that option is out at the moment. Not sure how you got yours lol (

i got mine by asking Canyon to get me a set in lieu for a damaged front wheel on a new aeroad, the cheaper model that comes with normal round bars, the invoice was for £289.... my mistake for assuming they were an option to buy separately.

obvious solution is use the 1 - 1/4 stem with the Zipp bars? or Easton EC90 ?

Yeh I am looking into this but wanted really if i was spending money to have the look of single piece system. I also hoped they would be lighter and stiffer being single item. The zipp aero bars (Zipp 400mm SL 70 aero bars) do offer the razor thin look
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Just throwing a spanner in the works, but I think integrated systems are a bad idea. Assume you strip a thread with a bolt, which happens in the best families, even using torque wrenches... you have to throw away hundreds of pounds worth of componentry, when a stem alone would be much much cheaper.

The stiffness bonus is marginal and probably counter productive as you will most likely perceive it as harsh and uncomfortable
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just throwing a spanner in the works, but I think integrated systems are a bad idea. Assume you strip a thread with a bolt, which happens in the best families, even using torque wrenches... you have to throw away hundreds of pounds worth of componentry, when a stem alone would be much much cheaper.

The stiffness bonus is marginal and probably counter productive as you will most likely perceive it as harsh and uncomfortable

Usually heavier too afaik and no option to tweak bar angles etc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ok thanks - I will take a look at some of the other 'separate' items and see what happens.
  • So I've decided to go with the zipp sl70 aero bars.

Can anyone confirm if the giant 2016 propel steerer is 1 1/4" ? Hoping Zipp do the sprint in that size but don't think they do.

Looks like richey or giant OD SLR are the only options
  • So I got the zip bars on today ... Very nice they are too.

I wanted the zip so sprint stem but it seems it does not come in overdrive.

What's the options out there for overdrive carbon stems.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    So I've decided to go with the zipp sl70 aero bars.

Can anyone confirm if the giant 2016 propel steerer is 1 1/4" ? Hoping Zipp do the sprint in that size but don't think they do.

too late for this to be of consequence to you but just for info the Propel Advanced 2016 has a 1+1/8" alloy steerer (called Overdrive) and The Advanced Pro models have the carbon 1+1/4" steerer (called Overdrive 2). Both are tapered steerers , think the alloy one tapers out to 1+1/4" at the crown and the carbon one to 1+1/2"
  • Semantik wrote:
    So I've decided to go with the zipp sl70 aero bars.

too late for this to be of consequence to you but just for info the Propel Advanced 2016 has a 1+1/8" alloy steerer (called Overdrive) and The Advanced Pro models have the carbon 1+1/4" steerer (called Overdrive 2). Both are tapered steerers , think the alloy one tapers out to 1+1/4" at the crown and the carbon one to 1+1/2"

That's for that mate. So I have the advanced pro so overdrive 2

So anyone recommend a stem overdrive 2 compatible.

Gutted the zip stem does not fit :(

Would have like it all to match
  • Cheers.

I alsready have the Zipp bars. They are very wide so the small giant stem looks silly that's why the larger sprint stem looks so good but they don't do it to suit overdrive size.

This gives you an idea of the width
    http://zipp.com/_media/images/dynamicpr ... 203qtr.jpg

Zipp do this one but again it's small http://zipp.com/stems/service-course-sl-os-stem/

Giant used to do this one it can still be purchased online eBay etc. Wider but very brick like to look at. 150g or so
    http://climbonbikes.co.uk/store-images/product/slr3.jpg

This is the replacement, again same issue as Zipp it lacks the width to "match" the bars
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/ge ... 584/62017/

Perhaps I should have just got these ?!
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/image ... 301271.jpg