SRAM chain spotter

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Just spotted my nice new bike's SRAM Red 22 front derailleur didn't come with a chain spotter so I'm after one. I can't spot anything to say they're not the same for Rival/Force/Red but is that right?

If so, why would you pay £19.07...... (cheapest I could spot and £25 RRP):

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b28 ... _on_all_FD)/

....when you can get a whole Rival mech which come with one for £17.95:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sram-riva ... h-cspotter?

Force are just a couple of quid more.

What am I missing?

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Step83 wrote:
    Odd it didnt as mine did, but if its just the spotter they can be had far cheaper

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-chain- ... 0t-39-53t/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-tk375-cha ... oad-mechs/

The Sram is adjustable without disturbing the front mech. The two above are not.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Just spotted my nice new bike's SRAM Red 22 front derailleur didn't come with a chain spotter so I'm after one. I can't spot anything to say they're not the same for Rival/Force/Red but is that right?

If so, why would you pay £19.07...... (cheapest I could spot and £25 RRP):

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b28 ... _on_all_FD)/

....when you can get a whole Rival mech which come with one for £17.95:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sram-riva ... h-cspotter?

Force are just a couple of quid more.

What am I missing?

There are certain vendors (those that buy stock bikes and strip the components off to sell) that strip them off of the FD and sell them separately. Wrong in my opinion as they come with it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • londoncommuter
    philthy3 wrote:

There are certain vendors (those that buy stock bikes and strip the components off to sell) that strip them off of the FD and sell them separately. Wrong in my opinion as they come with it.

It was a brand new bike that had already been built up and was partially taken to bits to be repacked to come to me. I'm trying to think generously, that they had to take it off to take the chain off and forgot to put it in the box.....
  • philthy3 wrote:

It was a brand new bike that had already been built up and was partially taken to bits to be repacked to come to me. I'm trying to think generously, that they had to take it off to take the chain off and forgot to put it in the box.....

My Planet X london road came without.
    When I pursued it with them they eventually admitted that they had a lot of Rival mechs that were fitted using a different clamp. Not sure if they purchased a load of braze on Rival mechs and generic bands to fit them with as the chain spotter is integrated with the SRAM band on clamp. They sent me a band on clamp + spotter from a Force derailleur in the end.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:

When I pursued it with them they eventually admitted that they had a lot of Rival mechs that were fitted using a different clamp. Not sure if they purchased a load of braze on Rival mechs and generic bands to fit them with as the chain spotter is integrated with the SRAM band on clamp. They sent me a band on clamp + spotter from a Force derailleur in the end.

Braze on and clamp on came with the chain catcher. Vendors like Merlin, send it as SRAM manufactured it with the chain catcher. Some eBay sellers sell them as separate items to eek a few more quid out of you.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Braze on and clamp on came with the chain catcher. Vendors like Merlin, send it as SRAM manufactured it with the chain catcher. Some eBay sellers sell them as separate items to eek a few more quid out of you.

Ok, not sure what the explanation is then - only PX will know what they did and why they did it, but I know there were a number of other people who had their bikes delivered without. I assume a little extra money is being made by somebody selling these on.
  • londoncommuter
    Anyway, back to the question raised. Are these the same across Rival/Force/Red and, if they are, why would you pay £19 for the chain catcher alone when a Rival mech with one included is £18???
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Anyway, back to the question raised. Are these the same across Rival/Force/Red and, if they are, why would you pay £19 for the chain catcher alone when a Rival mech with one included is £18???

I have both the rival and the red 22 mechs. The chain catchers are exactly the same in form and function. Possibly the Red is lighter material though pretty confident it isn't.