Enigma?

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Anyone got any recent feedback on an Enigma purchase? Looking at the Echo or Evoke possibly (not sure I want discs- I think the bike is otherwise the same). How do they perform for fast club rides/sportives in comparison to a carbon frame?

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I just bought the Evoke from them, the experience from buying from them has been top notch, they couldn';t have been more responsive to all my questions and I went to their facility to collect the bike and have a bit of a bike fit.

Have only had chance to ride the bike once so far but can say it compares well to my carbon, not sure it takes out the same level of road buzz as a carbon frame but its very very comfortable, frame is very stiff

If your in two minds would suggest you find a local dealer and take one for a spin
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I've got an Excel and love it. Keep delaying taking my carbon summer bike out because I enjoy riding the Ti one.
  • Camcycle1974
    Thanks for the replies. I do have a local dealer so will get a demo sorted. Also a mate has just bought an Echo so will blag a ride from him. Excel frame going cheap on the Enigma site is tempting but more racey than the Echo which is not really what I am after. Anyone have an Echo who can chime in?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Thanks for the replies. I do have a local dealer so will get a demo sorted. Also a mate has just bought an Echo so will blag a ride from him. Excel frame going cheap on the Enigma site is tempting but more racey than the Echo which is not really what I am after. Anyone have an Echo who can chime in?

At least one owner on this thread - you could PM him

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12668284&p=19648498&hilit=Enigma+Echo#p19648498
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    I bought a Van Nicholas Zephyr about 5/6 years ago and absolutely love it, decided to treat myself to an Echo this time last year.
    The Echo is slightly firmer than the V.N, I believe this is partly down to the 32mm seat post. It's a lovely bike and the quality of the frame is superb.
    I dealt with a local bike shop that has supplied a few Enigmas to people near me as I live just too far away to justify a trip to the factory, although I would like to visit sometime.
  • Camcycle1974
    Thanks again. I phoned Enigma this afternoon and spoke to Paul who recommended the Evade over the Echo for the sort of riding I do. Surprised me slightly but he was pretty certain the Evade was the one to go for in their range. Finding one to test ride might be an issue.
  • tmg
    How far are you from their site in Hailsham? They obviously have all of their bikes set up for test ride / press etc. I think I recall them saying they also send them out to dealers as for the number they sell a year some dealers cant justify holding a bike for test rides

I dealt with Paul, he couldn't of been anymore helpful
  • Camcycle1974
    tmg wrote:
    How far are you from their site in Hailsham? They obviously have all of their bikes set up for test ride / press etc. I think I recall them saying they also send them out to dealers as for the number they sell a year some dealers cant justify holding a bike for test rides

I dealt with Paul, he couldn't of been anymore helpful

Not that near, I'm in Cambridge. Do have a local dealer though so I will see if they can get me a demo. They have an Echo so that would give me an idea.
  • tmg
    Cambridge Cycle in Pampisford are a dealer so assume your talking about them, I know they have an enigma for test rides but not sure which model it is. As mentioned you could ask them to speak to Paul at Enigma to see if he could get the model you want shipped up to the store for a test ride. Alternative is a two hour drive down to their facility
  • Camcycle1974
    tmg wrote:
    Cambridge Cycle in Pampisford are a dealer so assume your talking about them, I know they have an enigma for test rides but not sure which model it is. As mentioned you could ask them to speak to Paul at Enigma to see if he could get the model you want shipped up to the store for a test ride. Alternative is a two hour drive down to their facility

Yes, Cambridge Cycles is the place. They have an Echo and Etape I think available. Whether they can get an Evade is unlikely but worth a try.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    if I were you I'd drive the other way to Norfolk and Fatbirds ike shop. They are an Enigma dealer but have so much more. I've never been but love Titanium and would like to see all the bling in one shop!

I got my Esprit from Pearson in Sutton. I do wonder if the next size down would have been a better fit so I'd recommend going somewhere with the available sizes. The c-c measurement on my bike is spot on but due to the large diameter top tube and the seat tube rising above the top tube for the seat clamp by an inch the bike looks larger (less seatpost showing). I could have gone down a size and had a spacer.

Image of my Esprit here:
    https://goo.gl/photos/4DNkRsqwfnAkUn8N7
    zO1Esbw9UroEtSeIiVMO2LSYNLUnfPiW9-WtzNvvGjhGpAxW0koLFsjpIYhcCrgloZ-8mLtAqidPu3QazBIEUUo8O7Zzs200Dv-nheW9ZbfgufnGkmlNe_Q7h96kIM-qi3Ext1U_-jDmCG3MrUm62Aj-34u7z2jhjruk1AaHFtxUIoJh0hDaBYoETKPYn0STyiOfT2L2IE-xngqoyv7TMd3PhmQdjpeKQaFsMDPX0XH7fz44yXO7gwZ5oNm099AxkXEUHlyTHdyl_HylEkGGWgfUSE7NS521zV3RaMyc8LQeO1NTpAaR9c0nG1_zE-vsHzQYXZ84HIDTCmA_66EyqoCx5T3S2fz3dbw_55TMJekX19cdLdtGkmmA6bg0DO1F0BRAO_w6WFqyEGz72lcXypd3Eg8DK_BfSRsMURoVh1kjhNpt4zFl2h8URFpRCMMwI6OadtYdrdmKYn6ZVlbfr6-LE5vN6alZDYC5ZSw9f9Qfd7SHCNgTqx59Co7m-m1Zgxtna24220n3a972nhEcQ0uqu0md16rMPJVzMeO7GcHJ8hi6AO-jEfhNDHOucgH2_Dnc=w1047-h786-no
  • Camcycle1974
    I have been to Fatbirds before and drooled through the window but unfortunately the shop was shut when I rode over there. They do have decent stocks of Enigma and some decent deals to boot. A mate of mine has just ordered an Echo from them. I was in Norfolk at Easter, should have gone over to see them. Nice bike, the Esprit looks a bit too much like my cannondale, otherwise I would consider one.
  • Camcycle1974
    Test riding an Echo on Saturday which Paul at Enigma tells me has virtually the same geometry as the Evade due to the different tube sizes used.