Carrera Vulcan vs older Boardman MX Sport

UglyOwl
UglyOwl Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in Commuting general
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I won't hide it but I made an account just to post this since I couldn't find anything out there to compare the two bikes.

I need the bike to commute a short distance ~3km (one way) per day to work. The ride is mostly road 70% and 30% smaller trails. Still the roads in my city are pretty bad so I was aiming at getting a bike with suspension and preferably with hydraulic brakes in order to avoid maintenance (with my current cheap MTB, I have to fix the brakes every 2 months).

Which of the two do you think is more value for money?

Carrera Vulcan 2015: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -bike-2015
Boardman MX Sport 2014: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/b ... -bike-2014

I tried looking at the parts of the two, but could not find much information to compare the two. The only difference I see is that one has hydraulic brakes and a longer fork. Is there something else I am missing?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The MX looks better suited to your use, the larger wheels will roll more easily, it has a better drivetrain, it's lighter as well. Yes the fork has less travel but it's more than enough for your stated use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • UglyOwl
    UglyOwl Posts: 3
    The Rookie wrote:
    The MX looks better suited to your use, the larger wheels will roll more easily, it has a better drivetrain, it's lighter as well. Yes the fork has less travel but it's more than enough for your stated use.

What about the brakes? The Boardman has mechanical while the Vulcan has hydraulic. Since I want to avoid brake issues and maintenance shouldn't I go for the hydraulic?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Vulcans brakes are not the most reliable hydraulics you can get....cable brakes only need an easy adjustment about once every two months (for me, that's about 200 miles in that time), hydraulics need less simply maintenance but if they do need work they need a lot more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.