11-speed chain tool

mercia_man
mercia_man Posts: 1,431
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Does anyone have recommendations for 11-speed chain tools?

I've just fitted a new Record chain with a KMC quick link but the guide plate on my cheap Bikehut branded Cyclo 11-speed chain tool bent and snapped on first use due to the force needed to push a pin through when shortening. I completed the chain breaking easily with a nine-speed chain tool from an old Park Tools multi-tool. This had plenty of oomph to push out the pin but I could see that the back plate of the chain was not properly supported and there would be a risk of deforming it, although this didn't happen to me. I have read of people filing the guides to enable an 11-speed chain to be supported properly but I feel it's time to get a proper 11-speed tool, maybe with the peening anvil to fit Campag chains without a quick link.

I'm not considering paying £120 for the genuine Campag tool. And £53 for the Park Tool workshop quality tool with peening anvil is also more than I want to pay for a job done only occasionally.

I've been looking at the Park Tools CT6.3 folding chain tool with peening anvil at £18.49 from Wiggle. Lezyne also does a smallish chain tool with peening anvil for the same price. Reviews for both these tools are mixed.

If I do without a peening anvil and stay with quick links, I like the look of the well reviewed Park Tools CT 3.2 chain tool (£22.99) which is workshop sturdy and adjusts to fit anything from five to 11 speeds. I've seen much cheaper offerings with adjustability and peening anvils from firms like BBB and Icetoolz but reviews for them don't fill me with confidence.

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Fitted a couple of 11 speed Shimano chains with the Topeak cheapie-@ less than £10 it did the job well enough.felt it lacked a bit of muscle for driving the joining rivet that last mm or so but it got the job done.
    That said, have now bought the Park CT 4.3 as I fit chains regularly for self and others so wanted the best.
  • DefUnctUK
    DefUnctUK Posts: 38
    Hi,

i was in the same positon a few days ago and after reading the following review (plus the ones for this tool on wiggle), got the Lezyne Chain Drive 11 - have not used it yet, but it seems very well made, the instructions are great and it comes with a spare pin. The only other alternative i could find over here (living in CZ at the moment) was the Topeak tool, which looks well made, but could not find any info / reviews about it.

http://road.cc/content/review/68127-lezyne-chain-drive-11-speed-chain-tool

J.
  • mercia_man
    DefUnctUK wrote:
    Hi,

i was in the same positon a few days ago and after reading the following review (plus the ones for this tool on wiggle), got the Lezyne Chain Drive 11 - have not used it yet, but it seems very well made, the instructions are great and it comes with a spare pin. The only other alternative i could find over here (living in CZ at the moment) was the Topeak tool, which looks well made, but could not find any info / reviews about it.

http://road.cc/content/review/68127-lezyne-chain-drive-11-speed-chain-tool

J.

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty good, and Sigma have the Lezyne tool for £16.99 with free postage.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Seeing that I fit quite a lot of chains, I purchased a Rohloff Revolver 3 a couple of years ago. It can be used to fit both 3/32" derailleur chains and singlespeed/fixed 1/8" chains, and comes with two spindles - one for fitting Campag 11-speed chains and the other for all other chains. It also has a tungsten carbide anvil for peening the head of the pin that is used to join the chain.

Does cost around £120, though.
  • I've just bought one of these ice tools ones. It looks very sturdy and will be using it to fit a Chorus 11 speed chain later so I'll let you know.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/141600989206
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I bought the expensive Campag chain tool and then wondered why, since I am using KMC quicklinks. However, new chains need to be shortened and while expensive, the Campag tool is more than up to the job of pushing out these ultra tight pins. In hindsight, it was a good choice.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    edited April 2016
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    +1 for the Lezyne. Does the same job as the Campagnolo and Park Tool but a fraction of the cost. It's also flat so it fits in your saddle bag/pocket/tool pouch.

As above I use the tool for the same reason. I use KMC links on my chains but shorten them with the Lezyne.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Won't a normal chain tool work for just splitting 11 speed? I would be in the same boat as in just need something to clean up a chain on the road before fitting a spare link to join things. Hadn't thought I would need a new tool to replace my Chain Brute from Parktool.
  • mercia_man
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Won't a normal chain tool work for just splitting 11 speed? I would be in the same boat as in just need something to clean up a chain on the road before fitting a spare link to join things. Hadn't thought I would need a new tool to replace my Chain Brute from Parktool.

The problem is that the 11-speed chain is narrow and the pins are in very tightly. When the chain sits on the guide, the back is not supported and the force of pushing out the pin can distort the back plate of the chain. This didn't happen to me when I broke the chain successfully with my high quality Park multi-tool nine-speed chain tool but I can see it could be a potential risk. A good 11-speed tool like the Park CT3.2 has an adjustable locating shelf which slides back and forward to ensure the back of the chain is supported no matter what size chain you are using.

I've ended up ordered the Lezyne chain tool recommended above at £16.99 from Sigma.
  • mercia_man
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

The problem is that the 11-speed chain is narrow and the pins are in very tightly. When the chain sits on the guide, the back is not supported and the force of pushing out the pin can distort the back plate of the chain. This didn't happen to me when I broke the chain successfully with my high quality Park multi-tool nine-speed chain tool but I can see it could be a potential risk. A good 11-speed tool like the Park CT3.2 has an adjustable locating shelf which slides back and forward to ensure the back of the chain is supported no matter what size chain you are using.

I've ended up ordered the Lezyne chain tool recommended above at £16.99 from Sigma.

Update: I have just received my 11-speed Lezyne Chain Drive and have tested it out on a spare bit of 11-speed Record chain. It works really well as the back of the chain is well supported to prevent any bending or distortion of the side plates and the leverage is plenty to push out those really tight rivets. The small screwed backing bolt supports the back of the joining rivet, enabling you to flatten (peen) the slotted slide of the joining rivet with the large screwed push bolt. The main thing to ensure is to take care that the joining rivet goes in straight. I feel confident that I will be able to rejoin a new chain with Campag's special rivet rather than using a quick link.

It's a substantial piece of kit and I believe should last for a long time. The instructions are clear, the tool incorporates a couple of spoke keys and you get a spare push bolt pin.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Yip it's a nifty wee tool. Been using mine for about 4 years now and haven't needed to use the spare yet.
  • The icetoolz chain tool also worked very well for me. It is very sturdy and did not struggle to remove a link and peen the new pin.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Can the Lezyne chain tool be used on 11spd Shimano chains?
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Another one here for the lezyne chain tool works a treat
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Park Tool brute here. Never noticed a difference between KMC 10 and 11 speed chains when breaking and I've done a few.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i find all park tools are made of cottage cheese, i've a jobsworth breaker and its far more rugged defo up to the job
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.