Specialized Evade

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Anyone got one, if so how does it fit?

I tried a medium on today and it seemed very snug on the sides of my head but fitted fine front to back, so tried the large on and it just felt and looked too big all round!

Just trying to figure out of my bonce is just the wrong shape for it or if its meant to be snug around the side of the head as it looked fine in the mirror?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Only you can judge. Not all helmets fit everyone. Try another make.
  • JesseD
    I'm leaning to it just doesn't fit, was kinds hoping it would be hey ho safety is more important!

The search goes on............
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    It's a narrow fit so if you've got a round head it probably won't fit that well. I have a narrow face and head but my the distance between the front and back of my head is very big. This means I have to have a large helmet which quite frankly look ridiculous. The Evade although felt supremely comfortable looked big on my head. The Prevail was again very comfy but looked like a Portobello mushroom was atop my head!
  • JesseD
    Ha that's what you large evade looked like on my head.

Another LBS is getting some Ballista's in next week, so I'm going to try that on as well, gets good reviews and is cheaper!
  • dstev55
    JesseD wrote:
    Ha that's what you large evade looked like on my head.

Another LBS is getting some Ballista's in next week, so I'm going to try that on as well, gets good reviews and is cheaper!

Have a look at the Kask Protone. It's not cheap but feels better quality than the Evade and it sat on my weird shaped head quite beautifully.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    dstev55 wrote:
    The Prevail was again very comfy but looked like a Portobello mushroom was atop my head!

Totally agree on the Prevail which is my helmet of choice. I try not to look at myself every time I put it on BUT it is the most comfortable and best ventilated helmet that I have ever used and I almost forget that it's on my head most of the time. The only other issue that I have found with it is that on the very rare occasion that I want to park my shades somewhere, the design of the helmet doesn't allow it to be there - mine's a 2012 model and they might have changed the design slightly since then.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If you've got a wide bonce, try the Echelon II. Only thing that fits my wide head!

PP
  • JesseD
    I've got a Bell Volt as my normal road helmet which fits great, infact its my second one as I like it that much, however for racing I fancy an aero road helmet (do I need one, probably not but I want one so I figure...)

The shortlist was/is:

Specialized Evade (doesn't fit my bonce)
    Bontrager Ballista
    Giro Air Attack Sheild
    Kask Protone

One LBS is getting the Ballista in this week in a large and medium, so if one of them fits then it might be that plus is cheaper than all the rest and gets great reviews.
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    I used Bell Volt/Gage and found Protone to be perfect for me,although it's price was :oops: but when you get that set up on Protone it is the best helmet I had (better than Mojito for me)
  • JesseD
    Tried on a medium and a large Ballista today and it seems these don't fit either, the large was just that very large and the medium whilst fitting ok looked massive as well?

I am adding the Casco Speedster Aero with visor to the list as well, looks a bit Judge Dread but I kinda like that.

So off the list is:
    Specialized Evade (doesn't fit my bonce)
    Bontrager Ballista (doesn't fit my bonce)

Left on the list is:
    Giro Air Attack Sheild
    Kask Protone
    Casco Speedster Aero

Any other aero road helmets out there worth considering?
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    If you are near an Evans it might be worth checking out the Louis Garneau Course and Heros. I think Giant do an aero helmet too.
  • JesseD
    Looked at the course and wasn't sold on looks (I know its shouldn't be important but we all know it is), the hero from what I can see isn't an aero helmet either, although that was determined from a quick Google.

Also like the look of the Casco SPEEDairo with visor.

I am going to buy another Bell Volt for everyday riding and training, the aero helmet will solely be for racing crits and road races (mainly undulating and not too hilly)
  • dstev55
    If you can stomach the eye watering price then definitely look at the Protone mate, it just oozes class.
  • JesseD
    dstev55 wrote:
    If you can stomach the eye watering price then definitely look at the Protone mate, it just oozes class.

I think its a bit out of my price range unfortunately. :(

Everyone raves about them though, just wanted to get an aero road helmet and a new training lid and the budget wont stretch to a Protone and another lid.
  • JesseD
    Tried on a Protone today and it fitted OK but I was not 100% convinced it fitted me well enough to fork out £175 on one.

Have added the Lazer Z1 to the list as well as they come with an aeroshell and are on sale in my club colours for £99.99 at the moment.

Anyone have one, if so what are your thoughts?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You can find the Kask Infinity for £99 - that might be worth a look. Sky are still using that.
  • JesseD
    Interesting, I found one on wiggle for that price but only in white and only in medium, was there anywhere else you saw it for that price?

One thing that concerns me about the Kask Infinity is the sliding panel, surely after a bit of use the panel could come lose and rattle, or is there a special mechanism that stops this that I don't know about?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Those kask prices are weird. They drop to 99 for a week or two and then straight back up to 150.

When I bought mine there were a few places doing it cheaply. They all seemed to follow suit.

No chance of the mechanism coming loose I think - after six months or so mine it still needs a firm hand.
  • JesseD wrote:
    Interesting, I found one on wiggle for that price but only in white and only in medium, was there anywhere else you saw it for that price?

One thing that concerns me about the Kask Infinity is the sliding panel, surely after a bit of use the panel could come lose and rattle, or is there a special mechanism that stops this that I don't know about?
    I have an as-new large Kask Infinity (worn once) which I'm about to sell if you're interested. It's the black & green one. Surplus to requirements, as I've gone the Protone route (fit is very similar).

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you some pics.
  • JesseD
    JesseD wrote:

I have an as-new large Kask Infinity (worn once) which I'm about to sell if you're interested. It's the black & green one. Surplus to requirements, as I've gone the Protone route (fit is very similar).

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you some pics.

Thanks but I was after an all black helmet or a combination of Blue/Yellow/Black to match my club kit, the green wont go I am afraid. Good luck with the sale though!
  • JesseD
    The hunt for an aero road helmet still goes on unfortunately, I have now found the Louis Garneau Sprint helmet and the BBB Tithon but cannot find many reviews for either.

Anyone got one or tried them?
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Have you tried the giro air attack yet?

From your description we may have similar shaped heads. I have both the giro air attack and synthe and find them both very comfy. I think they both rate pretty high in the aero stakes too.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • JesseD
    Just forked out on a BBB Tithon, will see what it fits like when it turns up.

Did look at the Air Attack as well with the shield as well as the Synthe, if the Tithon doesn't work for me then I will try one of these
  • JesseD
    I did try the Manta on and didn't get on with the shape, great looking helmet though
  • HD101
    HD101 Posts: 28
    Have got both Evade and Protone (M and L respectively). I'm right between sizes - the evade M is a narrow fit width ways but ok front to back, the large was way too big. Protone M was too small all round and the L is perfect with a bit of tightening with the adjuster. I use the Evade for shorter fast rides/races and Protone for all day rides.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Bell Star Pro?
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you looking for something to protect your head or match your kit like a handbag and shoes? The most important thing is fit regardless of looks or colour or whatvis the point of it in the first place? I own an Evade and before that A Giro Atmos which looked big but was the most comfortable I cold find. I wanted a Mojito long ago but it wasn't comfortable so I didn't get one pure and simple. I think the Evade looks a bit weird but it is comfortable and the colour is black so it goes with everything.
  • JesseD
    Fit first and foremost but I do have to like how it looks too.

Took delivery of a BBB Tithon today and took it out on its first ride, fit to be fair was perfect, it looks small out of the box but once on it was very comfortable.

It does look a little bulbous once one but not too bad, I think all aero helmets look the same (from the ones I tried on anyway). It vents well enough but I think on longer rides it may get a little toasty.

Build quality is good too.

Time will tell!
  • JesseD
    Ha, loads!

The aero helmet was going to be used solely for racing and I was going to keep my Bell Volt for training and longer rides etc, however I took a spill last week going round a corner in the wet and there was mud on the roads from tractors coming out of fields which I couldn’t avoid, the bike went from underneath me and I landed on my shoulder (damaged ligaments to my right shoulder) and also hit my head, the helmet looked OK on first inspection but I looked at it last night and there is a small crack in the shell so it looks like the Bell Volt will need to be replaced as well.

From the aero helmets I tried on:

Bontrager Ballista - Was between a medium and a large in sizes so it didn’t fit quite right.
    Specialized Evade - Didn’t fit my head properly, just a bit too narrow.
    Kask Protone - Tried this on initially and thought it OK, then tried it a second time and really liked it, however was just too expensive for me at the moment.
    Lazer Z1 - Fitted ok, wasn’t keen on the snap on cover.
    Giro Synthe - Really liked this but couldn’t find one in the right colours in budget.
    Mat Manta - Didn’t fit quite right, was ok but not perfect.
    BBB Tithon – Bought this on discount on the net with the idea of returning it if it didn’t fit, wasn’t expecting much as it was cheap, but it fits great, is fairly light and I like the look of it

I also wanted to try the Casco Speedairo, Giro Air Attack and the Louis Garneau Sprint, but living in the Channel Islands we are limited to what the bike shops stock, if the BBB hadn’t fitted properly IO would have tried the LG first.

Am considering using the BBB for training for a couple of weeks until after my wedding and I have some more money in the bank then splashing out on the Synthe or the Protone as I really liked them, they were just too expensive. If not then I will just buy another Bell Volt, probably in the same colours as the one I just cracked. Then again I also like the look of the DHB helmet which has been apparently designed in collaboration with Kask, it gets good reviews and looks ok as well.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I admire the perseverance and like the round up, all from a spectators view
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy