Nanoflex vs Rapha deep winter tights

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I have a pair of the rapha water resistant tights which I wear for when it's damn cold and wet. I think they are called Deep Winter Tights and are unpadded with foot stirrups.

I've seen a deal on a pair of nanoflex and wondering if it's worth the change.

The Rapha ones are pretty nice, but I find they are quite stiff so when on training rides my legs get tired just stretching the material each pedal stroke. Not ideal. What are the Castelli ones like by comparison?

Cheers

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    My riding buddy was complaining that his Castelli and Sportful norain (which is nanoflex with a different label) tights have both worn out over the winter...My Rapha ProTeam tights have now done 2 full winters (I only have one set so that's use once or twice a week) and look new.

Make of that what you will...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would be tempted just to buy the Nanoflex bib shorts and wear them with some Nanoflex leg warmers. I find shorts/leg warmers to be a more rideable combo as the disconnect between legs and bibs allows a little more flex.

I actually just ride in Castelli FAR bibs and Nanoflex leg warmers throughout winter and find that works ok if one is working on the bike rather than easy cruising.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I'd suggest building up your leg muscles. If anything I find Rapha's bib tight material very supportive.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Perhaps mine are the older model as I find them pretty restrictive. They're tough to get into compared to anything else I've ever work
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    So the Rapha are meant to be worn over bibshorts? Is that how you are wearing them? I suppose that would mean extra constriction given you're double layered down to the knee, which I guess is the pay-off for the level of protection they give you. If you did go for the Nanoflex, then you'd have the option of just one layer, therefore less restricting, so could be complimentary to the Rapha rather than supplementary.
    I have a pair of Nanoflex bibshorts, which I would wear with leg warmers in the winter (still am tbh). They are really only showerproof until the water resistant coating washes off, and mine stopped being showerproof quite a while ago. I could try and re-proof I suppose, but it's a faff doing that every few washes. I actually prefer my Sportful Fiandre Norain bibshorts - the water resistance seems better on those - and the leg warmers are Sportful Norain as well. None of them will repel a downpour though, but I don't think any lycra based items would.
  • domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    Wait for a discount code then buy the Rapha Pro team bib tights....
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The nanoflex bibs tights fit well but also have a fair amount of give in them without being baggy. I prefer the Velocissimo bib tights as for my use they seem a bit warmer and are a tighter fit without being restrictive. Both seem similar when it comes to showers or prolonged rain. I have not tried Rapha so couldn't comment.
  • Careful when buying Castelli.
    I bought a pair of Nanoflex bibs in the size recommended on their site. My voice raises by several octaves when wearing them!
    Let's say they are a snug fit. Long enough in the leg but take a bit of getting on.
    I have to say that when they're on they're cracking tights though. Very comfortable and, ahem, supportive. Toilet breaks are eventful, certainly a case of find the sausage!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Most Castelli stuff is one size up from normal. Personally, one of the reasons why I don't buy tights is because of variance in people's leg sizing and there is a lot to get right on a pair of bib tights: tightness in straps, waist, leg girth and shape, leg length, knee positioning, etc. Hence, the old faithful bib shorts and leg warmers to suit works for me.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    coriordan wrote:
    I have a pair of the rapha water resistant tights which I wear for when it's damn cold and wet. I think they are called Deep Winter Tights and are unpadded with foot stirrups.

I've seen a deal on a pair of nanoflex and wondering if it's worth the change.

The Rapha ones are pretty nice, but I find they are quite stiff so when on training rides my legs get tired just stretching the material each pedal stroke. Not ideal. What are the Castelli ones like by comparison?

Cheers

I've found the same with Nanoflex longs. They are great, but seem to require a little more effort than if just in shorts and legwarmers.