rattling rear 105 derailleur with XT chain/cassette

silviull
silviull Posts: 16
edited April 2016 in Workshop
i put an xt 11-34 cassette on my road bike, pair it with an 105 medium cage derailleur and the corresponding xt chain (all 10 speed). Everything is ok, except the fact that, when i am on the big chain ring (50-34), the lower pulley is rattling like hell (if i keep my finger on the derailleur cage, i can also feel the rattling). the shifting is perfect (dura ace TT shifters), the chain is the correct length, and the previous setup (all tiagra 10speed), didn't present the rattling (so the derailleur hanger is aligned).

any idea ? Thank you.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    do you mean 50t chainring and 34 sprocket? Not sure a 105 rear mech will cope with that size sprocket. Is the upper jockey wheel fouling the cassette?

Is it a 10 speed (5600 / 5700) rear mech?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    You should nt be cross chaining like this, shift to the 34 instead.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think OP is saying that when the front is on the 50T, the lower jockey wheel or mech cage is rattling whichever sprocket they are in. I THINK thats what they are saying.
  • silviull
    silviull Posts: 16
    apreading wrote:
    I think OP is saying that when the front is on the 50T, the lower jockey wheel or mech cage is rattling whichever sprocket they are in. I THINK thats what they are saying.
    yep, thanks for being more explicit than me.

the nice part is that, when i am on the 34T chain ring, the chain does not rattle whichever sprocket i am using.
    i'll try to re-tune the lower/upper screws (even if the chain does not fall on the spokes and i did it twice...), but after that i am out of ideas... btw, the cables/casing are new...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is the chain correctly routed through the rear derailleur? On one occasion I managed to get the chain the wrong side of the little tab. That would be especially noisy in the big ring because of the extra tension on the chain.