Opinion please on these wheels

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I cannot speak German haha but am in the market and have come across these wheels. Seem very light and good value for the money.

What are your thoughts on them for £250ish?

http://www.actionsports.de/en/fun-works ... 4498?c=404

Thanks.
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,140
    cheap, light, strong - you can get wheels with any two of these, all three is unlikely

note the max weight of 90kg, thats you+bike, which is pretty low for alloys, if you hit a pothole/whatever they may not do well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    The name of them alone would put me off.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Just my two pennies worth of wisdom: It's a pair of pseudo hand-built wheels build around Planet X-alike hubs, some light spokes of some description and a pair of generic rims. There is nothing magic and if that's what you want, then I am pretty sure someon like Malcolm at the Cycleclinic can build you the same thing for the same price, but at least you will be dealing with a human that understands wheels rather than a bunch of customer service employees who have no idea what a spoke is.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ...some light spokes of some description...

DT Swiss Revolution
  • mikeyj28
    Just my two pennies worth of wisdom: It's a pair of pseudo hand-built wheels build around Planet X-alike hubs, some light spokes of some description and a pair of generic rims. There is nothing magic and if that's what you want, then I am pretty sure someon like Malcolm at the Cycleclinic can build you the same thing for the same price, but at least you will be dealing with a human that understands wheels rather than a bunch of customer service employees who have no idea what a spoke is.
    Are they really that bad? A bit harsh isn't it to say that they are built by people who haven't a clue.
    Yes I did ask for opinions and people are entitled to them but surely a little more balanced than "spokes of some description" and "generic rims". Is it because they aren't branded by a mainstream player? Although DT Swiss are hardly inept.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mikeyj28
    sungod wrote:
    cheap, light, strong - you can get wheels with any two of these, all three is unlikely

note the max weight of 90kg, thats you+bike, which is pretty low for alloys, if you hit a pothole/whatever they may not do well
    Yes, they were my thoughts too on the cheap, light and strong. Just wondered if anyone had any experience or an insight into them.
    Luckily I'm 78ish kg with bike included. Thanks for the constructive reply.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    That fun works wheelset uses the kinlin xr22t rim. The rear though does not look offset though (they could have used that option). The hubs are bitex or similar and spoke similar to dt swiss revolution.

The spoke count is 24f 28r so i would have thought the weight limit is quite conservative.

The wheelset is as light as it is because of the hubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mikeyj28
    That fun works wheelset uses the kinlin xr22t rim. The rear though does not look offset though (they could have used that option). The hubs are bitex or similar and spoke similar to dt swiss revolution.

The spoke count is 24f 28r so i would have thought the weight limit is quite conservative.

The wheelset is as light as it is because of the hubs.
    Thank you for the information.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Are they really that bad? A bit harsh isn't it to say that they are built by people who haven't a clue.
    Yes I did ask for opinions and people are entitled to them but surely a little more balanced than "spokes of some description" and "generic rims". Is it because they aren't branded by a mainstream player? Although DT Swiss are hardly inept.

Did you read my comment?
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My opinion on that fun works wheels is it uses mis matched parts. The rim is a decent one but due to is depth it is not aero and given it only costs £35 it really make sense as an all weather rim for training. What those behind fun works have done is creat a light wheelset by using light hubs with tiny bearings which people will think is a climbing wheelset but its not light enough for that. Then folk will use them for a bit of winter training because they are cheap and find bearing life is a tad short. The rim is good but get it laced to hubs you can ride through the winter rubbish. That is what this rim is for.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.