Tiagra or 105

jamesfoz
jamesfoz Posts: 16
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm buying a new groupset in the morning. Quick poll, Tiagra or 105?

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Depends, 10 speed or 11 speed?
    10 speed then Tiagra-new groupset much better than the last
    11 speed then 105
    Simples.
  • jamesfoz
    I'm really struggling to decide! 11 speed is attractive for future proofing but I'm not sure it's worth the extra £50.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    For what frame ? How much cash do you have ? How many bikes do you have ? Otherwise just flip a coin.
  • jamesfoz
    This is my only bike. Frame is a Carrera TDF - was what I could afford at the time. I've upgraded most things (wheels, bars, rear cassette, brake pads, stem, pedals) but it still has the original Claris groupset which is only 8 speed and is becoming hard to find parts for (chain links for example).

Money is fine for either but of course I don't want to spend money on the 105 if it's isn't worth it!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Are you're wheels 11 speed compatible? If not then Tiagra 10s. The new Tiagra is much prettier than 105 anyway....
  • fenix
    I'd save the cash for a new bike personally. Upgrading bit by bit is very expensive.

A new bike won't be much more.
  • jamesfoz
    A new carbon bike at this level would be £1,500 so not exactly the same price as £300 for a groupset!.

My wheels are 11 speed compatible (Shimano RS010's).
  • fenix
    You can get full carbon bikes for a lot less than 1500 and carbon isn't magical. I'd rather keep saving or look for second hand. PX do a carbon frame for £300 even....
  • jamesfoz
    That wasn't my question though! My question is which one of these to get!!! So far, I'm still no closer to deciding!!!
  • fenix
    how much have you spent upgrade so far ?
  • jamesfoz
    Irrelevant. I'm finding it very hard to choose between these two groupsets so that's what I wanted to know people's opinions and thoughts on. I'm not interested in being told I have spent too much upgrading bit by bit. I have afforded what I could when I could and have gradually built myself a better bike and I've enjoyed the process. When I bought it I didn't know how much I would get into cycling.
  • fenix
    Go tiagra then and save for the next bike.
  • 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    Very simple....
    If you keep the bike for less than 6 month after this upgrade : don't buy either.
    keep it for less than 1.5 years : Tiagra, planning on any longer you might as well go 105
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Tiagra it is then, what do you use the bike for? If just for pleasure then buy Tiagra,sell your carrera with the Claris groupset and buy a Dolan Preffisio frame and forksfor £200.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Buy the 105 but keep all the parts. Over or after Christmas planet x usually have the pro carbon frameset for £200. Move all the best bits onto this and sell the tdf to fund the new frameset.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    For the sake of £50 get the 5800 105 then if you do ever buy a new bike, you can get one with a lesser groupset and change your 5800 over onto it.

Just be sure your current wheels will take an 11spd cassette
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Assuming we're comparing 4700 with 5800? Either would be a massive improvement on what you've got.

The 105 will be slightly lighter, have marginally better brakes, and an extra sprocket.
    Downside is that the 11 speed chain may wear slightly quicker than the 10 speed, and consumables will be slightly dearer.

I'd go for Tiagra and spend the £50 on a new jersey or some tyres.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    jamesfoz wrote:
    Irrelevant. I'm finding it very hard to choose between these two groupsets so that's what I wanted to know people's opinions and thoughts on. I'm not interested in being told I have spent too much upgrading bit by bit. I have afforded what I could when I could and have gradually built myself a better bike and I've enjoyed the process. When I bought it I didn't know how much I would get into cycling.

It's entirely relevant because 105 is a straight upgrade from Tiagra, there are no pros and cons there's only advantages for 105 with the disadvantage of it being more expensive than Tiagra and being 11 speed means you need compatible wheels.