Front and rear derailleurs

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

A bit of direction please, which derailleurs do I need to go with 10x3 shimano m780 xt shifters for an old Carrera Kraken? Not sure on mounts, clutches etc????

Many thanks

Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    10speed Shimano MTB rear derailleur, clutched or not is your choice.

10speed front derailleur (SRAM also works) you can get away with using a nine speed but if buying new may as well get a 10.

Level (XT, SLX etc) doesn't matter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    Cheers rookie, I'm assuming I don't need direct mount??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not for a Kraken. You do need to know, however:

- band clamp size (many are multi fit with shims)
    - band clamp position (high or low, or bottom/top swing)
    - cable entry (top or bottom - though many are dual pull)

It depends on the year Kraken.
  • The Rookie
    Older Kraken (27.2 seatpost) are 31.8mm clamp and are bottom pull and take high or low clamp OK, newer Kraken (31.6mm seatpost) are 34.9mm, bottom pull, not sure if they will take high and low clamp OK or not, standard is low mount.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    Think my current front derailleur cable comes down the seat tube, is that top pull?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The only top pull Kraken's I can find are very old (pre disc brake) and look like a steel frame (in which case it's probably a 28.6mm clamp).

Since 2003 they've all been bottom pull.
  • mathematics
    This is the bike a few years ago.

FCE00B36-C644-43B8-8ED5-86ECCCE620E7_zpsbmifewls.jpg

I'm guessing top pull high clamp?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Indeed it is. Very likely a low clamp would work too. But best to stick with what is on there, just in case.
  • mathematics
    Thanks guys better get some ordering done!