Which camera to record 3+ hours?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

First off I know this subject isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

Been commuting for 6 years & been using my Contour Roam 1600 (think this model is one of the early ones) for about 2 years of that time & for the commute it’s really good.

However I’ve started doing 50 mile rides at the weekends & the battery life on the Contour is 2 hours at best, even on the lowest settings so looks like I need to get an additional camera. So any ideas what is about & really what’s cheap? There’s so much on eBay but there’s no real chance of me getting accurate recording times from on there.

So any thoughts on a cheap replacement?

Cheers all,

Russ

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    My SJ Cam 4000 cost me £38 and additional battery was £7 I think. That'll do around 5 hours for you depending on resolution.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Garmin Virb, not Virb X, plus spare battery.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    I have a Virb Elite. It will record 1080p for about 2 hours... take a fully charged spare battery and you get around 4 hours.

Great wee camera, robust, plenty of settings, showerproof with good editing software too. (VirbEdit)
  • russboy
    Thanks all, is there anything that doesn't require a battery change?

17 of us did 50 miles Sunday morn with no stops apart from puncture repairs which of course is unlikely to be when the battery needs changing.
  • gethinceri
    Takes me less than a minute for a battery change. Maybe do it at a junction or top of a hill climb?
  • redvee
    IIRC I did run my Virb with a powerbank plugged in as a test but this renders the IPX rating useless.
  • russboy
    I think the Garmin Virb is leading the way, especial as i'm in the market for a Garmin Edge 520 or 810 as well.
  • steoroc
    steoroc Posts: 37
    @Gethinceri - where did you get the Sj Cam? I've read good things about them but there seem to be a lot if fakes around that are a major pain in the ass when you try to update the software.
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    steoroc wrote:
    @Gethinceri - where did you get the Sj Cam? I've read good things about them but there seem to be a lot if fakes around that are a major pain in the ass when you try to update the software.
    I got mine on amazon, when you get it, there is a code that you put in and it tells you if it's fake
  • gethinceri
    eBay for mine. I wasn't aware there were fakes until some time later but checked the web as above and mine's a genuine one as far as I can determine. I've never updated the software. I bought it just after the wifi ones were launched. Pic quality is perfectly acceptable but sound on the bike is bloody awful.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    +1 Garmin Virb. Battery lasts me just over 2 hours at 1080p. Absolutely love it. Used a cheap out-front handlebar mount and fixed mine to that (with bolt for safe measure) so it looks very nice next to my Garmin 800. There's also a 2 in 1 mount available so that the Virb is fixed underneath the garmin computer, which looks very nice.
  • russboy
    chatlow wrote:
    +1 Garmin Virb. Battery lasts me just over 2 hours at 1080p. Absolutely love it. Used a cheap out-front handlebar mount and fixed mine to that (with bolt for safe measure) so it looks very nice next to my Garmin 800. There's also a 2 in 1 mount available so that the Virb is fixed underneath the garmin computer, which looks very nice.

Cool, cheers.

Any link to that mount? About to bite the bullet & buy the Garmin 520 as well
  • redvee
    Supestar components sell a Garmin/GoPro mount for £20 which the Virb will fit using the supplied adapter, they must be good cause they're out of stock at present. Another option is Ali Express and this mount is exactly the same as the Superstars' offering apart from the finish on it, mine has a white lattice on it. They do take approx a month to arrive though but considering Superstar components have been out of stock for longer than that it isn't long to wait.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-Bicy ... 86084.html

You could buy one of the 3D printed mounts that are around but they flex a little with just a computer and small Exposure light on them so I'd imagine a camera would make things worse, go for the alloy mounts.
  • russboy
    Coo, thanks, will look into it further.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    Russboy wrote:
    chatlow wrote:

Cool, cheers.

Any link to that mount? About to bite the bullet & buy the Garmin 520 as well

Here's a link to the cheap out-front Garmin wannabe mount. Mounted the sticky pad that comes with the Virb to it and drilled a bolt through the middle of it so that it's solid. Only a fiver, so don't mind taking a drill to it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUT-FRONT-MOU ... _CsnBGTM9g

And here's the dual mount that can hold both Garmin 5xx/8xx with the Virb underneath, albeit a bit pricier.

https://www.evanscycles.com/k-edge-comb ... GwodD1cGuQ

Happy hunting - and thanks, you've now got me looking at the 810 as an upgrade :-/
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    I've currently got a Virb Elite (with spare battery) but will be replacing it with a Cycliq Fly12 when it is released (hopefully this month). Up to 10 hours battery life in camera mode (pre-release reviews seem to back this claim up), shorter life when using the integrated light. I have the rear-facing Fly6, which is great apart from the mount.

https://cycliq.com/products/fly12

I don't like the fact that the Virb will not delete older recordings automatically, the not-so-good battery life and the size. It has served me quite well for the past year though.

I would be interested on anyone's views as to why I shouldn't switch.
  • redvee
    ianlash wrote:
    I would be interested on anyone's views as to why I shouldn't switch.

Find it hard to believe the 10hr camera battery life, only connects to iOS, not Android too.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Which route did you go down in the end, and how are you getting on with it?
    Last 2 commutes have been full of idiots and close calls, so re-opening my camera musings.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • russboy
    Went with the Garmin Virb, with a spare battery for my Sunday rides.

Love the connectivity with my Garmin 520 and video quality matches my Contour Roam.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Russboy wrote:

Love the connectivity with my Garmin 520 and video quality matches my Contour Roam.
    Thanks,
    Just the normal virb? I'm trying to convince myself that's good enough for most needs.
    Unfortunately my 705 is too old to talk to these New fangled camera things, so like you would need a replacement computer as well.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • russboy
    Yeah, standard Virb for me
  • redvee
    Russboy wrote:

Video quality from night time rides is better, much clearer on the Virb. In the battery life stakes I bought a Silvercrest powerbank from Lidl today for £8 and charged it up and have been running my Virb X on it for 2 hours now. I think the card will be the limiting factor, not the battery.

Couple of night time comparison videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUp4vy8bhMU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtvdQ1YLXcQ
  • russboy
    External power source not an option for me as my camera is helmet mounted, hence the 2nd battery.

Easily OK for a 4hr ride, as is the 64gb card whilst recording on the highest settings.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Russboy wrote:
    External power source not an option for me as my camera is helmet mounted, hence the 2nd battery.

Easily OK for a 4hr ride, as is the 64gb card whilst recording on the highest settings.

How did you mount it on your helmet and isn't it heavy?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • russboy
    No heavier than my Contour Roam.

I did buy the proper helmet mount but it sits too high for me, so in the end I've used cable ties to strap it to the helmet, actually looks OK and holding up well. Strapped down the basic mount so I can still remove the camera when I need to.

Also to note any camera on the helmet does catch the wind a bit.
  • redvee
    Russboy wrote:
    No heavier than my Contour Roam.

When I bought my Roam I thought I wouldn't notice the low weight on my helmet but did initially notice it but soon got used to it after a week or so of riding with it.
    Russboy wrote:
    I did buy the proper helmet mount but it sits too high for mecatch the wind a bit.

There is a low-profile mount available but I've not seen it for sale in many places.