What should I be paying?

NWMTB
NWMTB Posts: 12
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Newbie here looking for some advice, having been an avid mountain biker for years I am thinking of getting a roadie for the summer months to help with fitness.

I have been offered a 2014 Trek series 4 project one frame I would build up and wondered what sort of figure I should be paying for this frame?

My road bike pricing knowledge is limited, the frame is new but from a private seller.

Could anyone help out here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If this is to be your very first road bike, be very careful that you get something that fits properly. Which is tricky when buying just a frame...

Sorry, can't help with the pricing advice either.
  • NWMTB
    Thanks. Size is OK, I just hope someone can help with a price!
  • NWMTB
    I have found one more new 2014 project one 4 series for sale at £1995, this is for a full build Ultegra set up.

Do you think £600 is fair/market value for a new frame?
  • NWMTB
    Morning bump
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    NWMTB wrote:
    Morning bump
    Found another on offer built up at £1820

http://www.kenellerkercycles.co.uk/m1b0 ... e_4_Series

If you subtract say £500 for the Ultegra 6800, £150 for the Bontrager Race wheelset and say £300 for the rest of the finishing kit that leaves roughly £900 for the frameset brand new

Based on those fag packet calculations your £600 is eminently fair for a second hand frame where you might struggle to exercise any warranty claims in future if a problem arose
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Looking at what others have said I don't think I'd want to be paying any more than £450 or £500 maximum.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I paid £500 for one of the Scott CR1 framesets when Westbrooks were selling them off, and thought that was a bargain. So I suppose you're in the right ball park. Mind you, I'd have had some comeback if things went wrong.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    keef66 wrote:
    Well I paid £500 for one of the Scott CR1 framesets when Westbrooks were selling them off, and thought that was a bargain. So I suppose you're in the right ball park. Mind you, I'd have had some comeback if things went wrong.

Exactly. I've had mine repaired under warranty so these things are important.

OP says it's a Project One, of what? Domane? Emonda? And there are various other models which can be done under Project One - as that's just the customisation brand, not the type of frame.
  • NWMTB
    Thanks everyone.

The bike is a Madone series 4 project one.