Which camera to record 3+ hours?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited April 2016 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

First off I know this subject isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

Been commuting for 6 years & been using my Contour Roam 1600 (think this model is one of the early ones) for about 2 years of that time & for the commute it’s really good.

However I’ve started doing 50 mile rides at the weekends & the battery life on the Contour is 2 hours at best, even on the lowest settings so looks like I need to get an additional camera. So any ideas what is about & really what’s cheap? There’s so much on eBay but there’s no real chance of me getting accurate recording times from on there.

So any thoughts on a cheap replacement?

Cheers all,

Russ

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    garmin virb basic is about £80-90 and evans are doing the batteries for £17 which would give 4 hours total.

I bought a cheap camera off ebay and it couldn't even manage 45 minutes on a charge on the occasions it didn't freeze and stop recording
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mentioned Virb + spare battery in the other thread asking the same question. Recording resolution will also limit recording length unless a large capacity Class 10 card is used. A 1280*720 @60fps recording of 100 minutes is approx 12.4Gb so a 32Gb card will be plenty.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    garmin virb basic is about £80-90 and evans are doing the batteries for £17 which would give 4 hours total.

I bought a cheap camera off ebay and it couldn't even manage 45 minutes on a charge on the occasions it didn't freeze and stop recording

You could also use one of those external battery charger packs and leave it plugged in the extend the recording time. This would avoids need to stop and swap the battery. I have Virb and a battery pack for this purpose although I have not used it this way yet - it needs to be dry so that you don't get water in the connectors under the rubber cover. A colleague has done this for a Garmin 800 and got over 24hrs recording (he does those stupid MTB endurance events)