TdF 2016 viewing points in the Alps

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited May 2016 in Pro race
Hi folks...

Hoping to get out to see my first ever alpine stages of the TdF this summer. I own a place up the road from Saint Gervais, so making full use of the apartment this time round and hoping to see the 3 stages in the area... So, my question is to anyone that has done alpine stages before, or knows the area(s) really well... Where are the best places to be do you think for the Sallanches to Megeve Time trial.. The finish section up to Saint Gervais (Bettex) and I'd love to get on the Col du Joux Plane as well somewhere...???????

Also, does anyone know what the road closures are likely to be on the Col du Joux Plane...?

I know it's kind of early to be talking about this, but looking to get planned early for this... Thx folks in advance and any advice / help is very much appreciated...

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Dunno the area that well. But generally they shut the route several hours prior to the riders coming through. So last year it was around 9/10am for a race coming through at 1/2pm. Often they'll limit cyclists from riding up as well. Where you can, make use of ski lifts and walk in would be my advice. Remember that the caravan comes through about an hour before the riders.
  • Thx for this... Problem with the Col du Joux Plane is there are no chairs on that side of the hill... SO looks like it will be an early doors trip over in the wagon, park up and cycle up early, or a long walk up the hill...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I'll be cycling up the joux plane on the Saturday morning.

The only use for chairs on a mountain stage is to wave them above your head whilst singing.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    Last year we parked a car at the top of the Lacets de Montvernier (on the final hairpin in the meadows) the day before, and then rode up there on the day of the race. I don't know if there may be any similar options on the Joux Plane.
    Race finish times are normally aimed to be 5 pm local time, so they'll be top of the Joux Plane around 4.30 pm on the Friday. Road will be closed by mid morning so it makes for a long day! Roads tend to be open to cyclists later than for cars too.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Good article from the Inner Ring - a few years old - Spectating Tips for a Grand Tour

http://d2ride.co.uk/News-and-Blog.php
  • OK thx, so considering the caravan goes up several hours before the riders, I guess arriving in or around Samoens could be early to mid morning and then cycling over to the Joux Plane and cycling up...

Thx for the article as well... Good read :D
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    You're not allowed to say the Inner Ring is a good read, you have to hate the guy.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    There is a lift from les gets you could use which comes up at the top of the descent into morzine which runs in the summer for mountain bikers. Would still be a fair walk past he ranfolly to the top of the climb though.
    OK thx, so considering the caravan goes up several hours before the riders, I guess arriving in or around Samoens could be early to mid morning and then cycling over to the Joux Plane and cycling up...

Thx for the article as well... Good read :D

My plan is to get down on the Thursday for a long weekend in Samoens and cycle up early doors. the joux plane goes straight out of Samoens so you don't really have to cycle far to get to bottom of the climb.
  • Yeah I am thinking of coming up from Samoens personally, but thx for letting me know about the Les Gets lift...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    264sxh1.jpg

Bo Duke were you involved in that Waco shoot-out?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I know Samoens and the Joux Plane fairly well. You could get part way up the Joux Plane without using the main route itself. Head up from the road that joins Verchaix with Samoens and go up through Mathonex like this https://goo.gl/maps/uxUfq8UvUdS2

Please note, for all I know they may close that particular route up, but it's worth noting.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Re the time trial, either the first climb up from Domancy or the very steep section just past the bottom of the Princesse cable car would be good viewing points... a short cycle along from St Gervais and you're right there.

On the Friday, presumably the Bettex telecabine will be operating to get spectators up to the finish (though you may have to get there early as they might limit numbers depending how busy it is). Best to check with the St Gervais tourist office nearer the time. I think I will go to Bisanne that day, I love that climb.

I'm fortunate enough that the Saturday stage is passing directly in front of the house. Hooray!
  • alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    Thx folks for the help... Double edged sword situation as I am gutted as Ive just found out I won't be able to travel out there now, but this is because we have hopefully sold out apartment, and if it goes through, will be sold before the TdF hits St Gervais...

Thx tho for all the input... Looks like another year for the TV...